Looking to connect with people withdrawing from citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been on citalopram for over a decade and have been weaning off it for the last year and a half. I rushed the last 3 dose reductions and am now paying the price! Its now been over a month since my last reduction and I'm still having intense symptoms- feel like a completely different person as most of the time my brian is foggy and I can't think straight. I don't want to go back up a dose as I'll feel the last month has been wasted and surely these symptoms will end soon??? (I take heart in that I had a few days a week ago where I felt back to my old self but sadly the symptoms returned!). Accupuncture is a god send and staves off my symptoms for 10 hours at a time but then they come back. Anyway I'd just like to connect with anyone who's had or who's having a similar experience.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hope you are feeling better, it sounds like things are stabilising a bit, keep on the same dose as long as needed. It was towards the end when I was taking very low doses I found the most difficult with anxiety and migraines.

It is so confusing not knowing if it things will things get better with time or am I just torturing myself by not taking the prozac. I am determined to stay off them as I don't want to accept taking them for life, I just hope it is not a decision I will later regret and does not damage relationships and my future career.

I agree that more natural remedies and life style are the way to go, the effects are more subtle but don't have a negative effect on your health like tablets can. I've been feeling more tired recently and think the diazepam and not eating healthily could be contributing to that. I have had a low couple of weeks but plan to cut out alcohol and do more exercise outdoors (walking, cycling) to improve my physical health. The things I find most difficult to cope with are the lack of energy and the demands and lack of understanding of other people, and need a lot of time and space for myself at the moment.

I found the survivingantidepressants forum site recently, it is worth a look, it is interesting to read the advice and people's experiences on there too.

Hope things go well for the rest of your withdrawal, keep positive and take it slow.

• Posted

Thanks. Had a bad day yesterday but feel stronger again this morning but am trying to remain confident that I've nearly stabilised. I hear you about the dilemma as to whether to go on meds again. I have witnessed people torturing themselves trying not to go on meds and then feeling a whole lot better when they bit the bullet and went on them. Equally I've seen people battle through not going on meds and coming out the other side. Such a hard call. Only you can determine. Have you tried counselling? Also if you do take the Prozac it doesn't necessarily mean it's for life. I really understand about people not understanding. I think some of my friends are exasperated with me! And keep trying to rush me into feeling better! But I guess you don't know how withdrawal is until you are in it!!!!
  • Posted

Just wanted to offer up some hope here. I am now off citalopram and doing ok. I stabalised from the second last drop (which I wrote about above) with the help of a wonderful herbalist and Accupuncture. I then had a terrible time dropping to zero which has lasted about a month but which seems to be settling now. I felt terror like I had never before!!! but this is subsiding now. I found EFT tapping extraordinarily useful and I continue to take the herbs and meditate. Wishing you all every success in your journeys!
    • Posted

Pah! I spoke too soon. After feeling fine I've nosedived in the past 2 days and am going to go back on a low dose and reduce much more slowly as the symptoms are unbearable!

What a nightmare this is!!!!

• Posted

Hello,

When I first come off I experienced what felt like shock-disoriention feel. Waking up often at night. I don't want to do ANYTHING!! Most times I have zero tolerance to anything or anyone - short tempered, other times its the complete opposite to overwhelming heartfelt tears.

I was on 20mg for about 4 years, I decided to come off it. I reduced dosage for 3 weeks (once every 2nd day) - then stopped altogether. It wasn't nice but got easier over 2 weeks.

Nowing coming up  5 weeks free - Im still waking at night. The shock feel isn't all that bad, i think i'm getting use to it. Zero tolerance is still hanging around. I found exercise and good food helps, but each day you wake - you never know what your brain will do even though you may have plans - turns out so does your brain!!

• Posted

Thanks Tiffany, are you managing to work?

I've done 7 weeks at zero (not worked for 5 of them!!!) and have had easier times where I've felt better and then hellish times again!!! Over the past 3 days I've had a real dip and can no longer tolerate the huge feelings of terror, especially in the mornings! I'm seeing the doc on Monday and hope to reinstate either on a low dose of citalopram or Prozac (which has a longer half life thus easier to get off). You sound like you're doing ok though on the whole? I was on citalopram for 11 years so I think this is part of the reason I'm struggling so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.