Loose Splint After Ankle ORIF

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! Exactly a week ago, I had ORIF for a severe ankle fracture. I'm HOH and don't have the paper to reference atm, so I'm not sure the exact type of fracture.

Compared to what I've read from others, I've had a fairly smooth recovery with minimal pain. However, on Sunday, I noticed my splint (which is plaster) was like... sliding down and that was causing increased pain (primarily with my stitches). I went to the ER immediately, but the nurse who examined me thought it was fine and didn't want to remove the splint as it's pretty substantial.

This morning, I had my mom re-wrap the ace bandage as the nurse showed me as it felt loose again, but that doesn't seem to have helped a ton with the loose sensation. It's somewhat more painful, but that could also be due to the fact that I had an elective nerve block.

Overall I'm not in enough pain I feel the need to take my prescription pain medications, but I'm slightly paranoid it's too loose and pulling out my stitches.

as some additional info: I'm 22, I've had prior (minor) surgeries, and I have recently diagnosed OCD.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

HI there,

I was a bit confused because you said you had plaster but then you said your mom re wrapped your bandage.

If you have a plaster cast and it feels odd to you, causing you pain or that slipping feeling, it probably was put on wrong . The easiest thing to do is call your surgeons office and they will have you go in and be re plastered. I had to do it twice and it made a huge difference !

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.