Loose teeth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive developed loose teeth. I don't know if this is to do with my hyperthyroidism or the carbimazole. I am now within the normal range and have been slightly hypo. The problem only arose when I got to the low end of T4. I am scared I am going to lose my teeth. I also have a permanent headache from my top frionth teeth up my nose and between my eyes. My latest blood results are:

TSH 3.8 (.27 - 4.5)

T4 15.1 (11 - 23)

T3 3.73 (3.1 - 6.8)

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been to the dentist with pain going from the back of my mouth to the middle of my mouth. There is sensitivity as well. My dentist has noticed my teeth becoming loose which concerns me. There was no cause for the pain found but I read somewhere that Grave's patients have sensitivity to fluoride toothpaste so I have been using fluoride free toothpaste and it has helped a great deal. I developed this sensitivity before being on medication for long so I tend to think that the medication is not the cause, at least in my case.

• Posted

Thanks. I have always been sensitive to any whitening toothpaste but not to fluoride as far as I know. Before my teeth started feeling loose, I got lots of gum swelling and peeling and my tongue was also swollen and sore. This was at its worst when I tipped over into hypo. It has eased a bit now I am in the normal range (though still quite low) but now I have noticed my teeth are loose and have read you can lose bone from your jaw with Graves. This disease never seems to end in what it does to us sad

• Posted

Yes, I agree. It seems never ending in the damage. But am thankful to God even so because I know many are suffering far worse than I am. Recently, I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis. After reading your reply, I'm wondering if there may be a connection to Graves Disease. My gynecologist did not mention there was, but I guess I'll see my endocrinologist next month and ask his opinion. No matter either way😟. It is what it is, I guess.

• Posted

Hi,  Loose teeth is one of the many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.  A number of studies now state that it is magnesium not calcium that is needed to build the tooth and that only soft enamel can be formed without magnesium.  Please research this yourself though... Coconut oil may also help.
  • Posted

Hi,  Loose teeth is one of the many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.  A number of studies now state that it is magnesium not calcium that is needed to build the tooth and that only soft enamel can be formed without magnesium.  Please research this yourself though... Coconut oil may also help.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I have heard that before. I hesitate to seek holistic therapy since my body chemistry is extremely sensitive to supplements. However, I'm more curious as to why there is this deficiency. Guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes.

• Posted

Thanks. I take 500mg of magnesium and 1000mg of calcium daily. Maybe I need more than this? I have read that Graves disease is related to osteoporosis and am worried about this.
    • Posted

Hi,  I would think about reducing the calcium supplement,  as calcium is in so many other things we eat, there's lots in dairy and cereals for instance - and the magnesium - well it really depends on if it is a form that your body is absorbing easily.  The kind of magnesium that is quickly absorbable is ionic magnesium.  It is super hard to overdose as any your body does not need just goes to your bladder.  If you are taking a good quality source of magnesium and your diet is good with lots of fresh veg, you shouldn't worry too much about this.   Eating onions helps to build bones apparently ! 

• Posted

Thanks again. I hope you received my reply🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.