Loosing a lot of weight without trying?

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I went to the GI doctor he said I lost 7 pounds in less then a month. Before that I went to another doctor and she to said in loosing a lot of weight. My parents don’t think it’s serious but that’s not normal. They won’t take me to another doctor. My other symptoms are: nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, constpation. What should I do? What’s wrong with me?!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also feel really full without eating much and I don’t have an appetite most of the time.
  • Posted

What did the GI doctor say to do? They commented on your weight loss but did they say what they thought was contributing to that? Are they referring you anywhere else or have they discharged you without further tests? Have your previous results come back normal?
    • Posted

All he said about the weight loss was that it wasn’t normal. He didn’t do any tests and he didn’t refer me anywhere. I feel like it was a waste to go becouse he did nothing to help me. What do you think I should do? 
    • Posted

Can understand how that'd be frustrating. I'm surprised if he thought it wasn't normal that he isn't following it up.

Have you ever tried keeping a food diary? It might be worth giving that a go for 2 weeks.

Write down each day:

- what time you get your symptoms and what activity you were doing when you notice it

- everything you eat or drink. What quantity, what you felt like after

- any anxiety you may have

Then after that 2 weeks, look back and see if you can identify if there are any periods your symptoms are worse. Any triggers that could be contributing to that. Are there any things you are eating that are ok on your stomach or vice versa. It could be you're suffering IBS and the weight loss is likely the fact that you're not eating properly due to your symptoms and lack of appetite.

If you have written evidence such as above it might be helpful both to you and to show your parents if you do identify a pattern. Plus it will help any future dr's you go see (if you do) with understanding it.

• Posted

First, I would submit a complaint about the doctor you mentioned, if he thinks its abnormal, then he should be investigating it. If I was you, I would go back to another doctor for a separate opinion, then ask to be referred for imaging tests to rule out possible causes such as cancer or serious disease. 
  • Posted

What has the GI said so far?

i weighed 94 lbs (I'm 5'5"wink for a few years. My doctor did a stool test. 3 days of stool samples mailed to a special lab found different kinds of bacteria. Xifaxan and tinidazole help the most with a yeast preventative drug and I put on 15 pounds. This lasts about 6 months then I need more drugs. I'm too damaged inside for natural so far. I'm hoping some day to be able to use Atrantil and probiotics and supplements. 

Bacteria doesn't always show in some tests. 

• Posted

It sounds like IBS if  your pain moves about.  All of these symptoms you are having can contribute to loss of appetite and weight loss.  You also sound very anxious which can also cause you to lose weight.  You will need to keep going back to your doctor to find out what is wrong.  No one else can do this.  Go back to your doctor!  I did this with my symptoms which were similar to yours and I eventually got a diagnosis of IBS.  I don’t know what you have however.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.