Loosing hope of ever getting better

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got postnatal depression and loosing all hope of ever getting better.

I've been on sertraline for 4 weeks and 5 days. 4 weeks at 50mg and 5 days at 75mg. The first few days were bad and then I felt great and back to myself until week 3 and I went back downhill. So was advised to up the meds. Sunday and Monday I felt very anxious and teary, feeling flat and hopeless like I'm never going to be happy again. Tuesday I felt good most of the day. Yesterday I was very anxious and overwhelmed feeling numb and flat again.

Ive been up most of the night worrying that this is my life now and I will never be happy or normal again. I thought by now the meds would be working.

Please I need some support and positive stories that the meds will work and I will get better

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

oh natalie you poor thing, I had postnatal depression many years ago but can still remember that feeling. if you are having good and bad days this means the meds are working, they just need to even out and settle plus hormones are probably in the mix as well. do not loose hope you will get better, enjoy the good and ride the bad and soon it will be all good x

• Posted

I just wish I had more good days. I have 2 beautiful children, an amazing husband and amazing family but I just can't enjoy them or be happy. It's horrible. I just want to be better so badly and nothing I do seems to be working x

• Posted

hi Natalie. 4 weeks is early to see results for most people. its usually 6 weeks before you start having more good days than bad.

there is also a great facebook page you could join.

ZOLOFT positive support group

its been a lifesaver for me

• Posted

Thankyou! I'm really holding out for more good days it just feels like they're never going to come. Do you think it will be 6 weeks from when I first started or 6 weeks from dose increase? I think I've joined the group on facebook now...not sure! X

• Posted

hey, it seems really normal to go up and down in the first 8 weeks. i had same experience. im surprised your doc increased the dose so quickly. what youre experiencing now is probably a worsening of symptoms like when you firat started - it happens when you play around with the dose. be patient and remember you will not feel like this forever. i think GP was way too quick to increase dose so if you still feel side effects are overwhelming in a few weeks ask for a decrease again! im on 9th week bow and it took 8 weeks for side effects to improve and to feel any better. i had read lots online saying id feel better in two weeks so was freaking out thinking it wouldnt work but patience is key

• Posted

I think she increased it as I'd had all good days for over 2 weeks not one single bad day and then I crashed right back to the beginning. Not sure. I dont know how it all works Im just frustrated and want to get better so I can enjoy my baby. Yeah lots I've read also says like 2-3 weeks and then they had all good days but I'm nowhere near that yet

• Posted

I know this maybe a silly question but if you were having a good days why did dr increase dose, if it was working?

• Posted

I'm not sure? Maybe because I was having a week of bad days an wasn't having any good in that...I really don't know. But all I do know is I feel I've done the wrong thing in increasing....

• Posted

Hang in there Natalie, it does get better. meds can take up to 8 weeks to feel better longer. there is ups and downs until u got the right amount. I know this because I m still playing this game and I've been at it for 8 months. Fear not, life will improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.