Lorazapam with citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was having too much anxiety to start citalopram without something, so doc put me on 2 mg of lorazapam to help. So far helping on 5 mg of cit a day. Going up to 10 mg tomorrow, hope it will still help. Hate to get addicted to lorazapam, but was an idiot and stopped cit after 9 yrs. Was doing fine on 10 mg, just wanted to be drug free. Now look at me. Only side effect from citalopram was frequent urination, now using oxytrol patches, I also have interstitial cystitis which they prescribe for patients like me for urgency and frequency. One of the things I can't stand. Peeing every 20 mins sucks. Anyway, anyone else using lorazapam to help with the anxiety?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had weaned myself off of clonazepam 6 months ago or more. Things got really stressful at work and my BP has gone up. I now lost my job so I went back on clonazepam. It is a huge help to me especially since I am relocating on top of all this. I have stayed off of Celexa though.

After my move and things settle I plan on reducing the clonazepam to zero and only use on days that I know might cause my BP to go too far up. I do need to say that I have heart disease and a stent so I cant handle high BP.

I still only take .5 about 4 times a week now.

When I was taking it everyday a year ago I took about 3 months to wean myself off.

Best of luck, it is a life saver and I don't think you should feel you need to do anything faster than you feel you need to.

• Posted

I used loranzapam when I first started citalopram I found it helped a lot. I couldn’t even breath properly with anxiety and it really calmed me down and if you do it right you won’t rely on them so you should be ok! XX 
    • Posted

How did you wean yourself off lorazapam, I find I still have breakthrough anxiety sometimes. Also experiencing one of the side effects of citalopram, frequent urination. I also have interstitial cystitis which causes that anyway. Quite the struggle, but celexa worked for me before. Don't really want to change meds. Thanks for your input

• Posted

I didn’t really take that many but you just taper of it. Have one every other night then like 3 times a week then two then one etc then it will get out your system safely without you body really noticing. If you find it hard go to your doctor and they can do a list of when to take it and go through it with you xx
  • Posted

I was on Klonopin .25mg twice a day for 3 months until I worked my way up on celexa. I started on 2.5 mg celexa so it took a while to work up the dosage. I weaned off the Klonopin for about a month and had no withdrawal and it definitely helped me at the time!
    • Posted

I am on 2 mgs,of lorazapam a day, going to 10 mgs tomorrow. Lorax has helped with 5 mgs, still some breakthrough anxiety. Only on day 7. Having one and only side effect with citalopram, frequent urination. I have interstitial cystitis, which has the same symptoms, so I have to use oxytrol patches( oxybutinin over the counter) to help stay sane, don't want to change meds, so hoping this side effect will go away. Had this problem under control before citalopram. So very frustrating. Also worried about weaning off lorazapam. Glad you seemed to have a smooth transition. Thank you for your response

• Posted

I meant 10 mgs of celexa tomorrow, haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.