Lorazepam.. Advice please?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, I went to the urgent GP centre today and described my symptoms.. These were:

-Constant light headedness

-Nervous feeling

-Occasional not sleeping

-Feeling like I'm going to die

-Occasional palpitations

The Dr prescribed 6 1mg doses of LORAZEPAM. Is anyone else on these? Are they effective? My main concern is finishing the tablets, and my symptoms returning or even returning worse than they originally were. 

Any advice is much appreciated!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

If this symptoms are for more than 15 days,lorazepam alone is not a good option.

But still it will help you and provide you some relief.As its short acting, taking half tab in morning could provide you continuous cover.But I think you consult a psychiatrist and opt for SSRI/CBT.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply DrK. Most symptoms have not been present since I first started experiencing it. Just the light headedness. This has been for about 10 days now. I will give the lorazepam a go until I've ran out and if symptoms do not improve, I will return to my GP.
    • Posted

How about trying a relaxation excercise? google it and u will find an audio for the same.give it a shot.
  • Posted

I take Lorazepam(ativan) 0.5mg 4 times a day and they do help alot. They can be addicting but I was off them for 3 years so I learned to control them.. you may need a antidepressant to. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply tonya46846. Mine are 1mg but I have to split tab in half and take 1/2 each time. When did you find was the best time of day to take them? If any?
  • Posted

DONT take the lorazepam! Benzos are highly addictive. The emergency GP should not be dishing these out to someone they haVe never met before. Make a routine appointment with your regular GP and talk it through. You probably need your thyroid function tested if the symptoms have been going a while but you are probably getting anxiety panic attacks which can feel awful. Best treatment if the tests are fine is CBT.
  • Posted

Be very careful these are addictive. Use them occasionally, not every day to limit addiction to them.

Its harder to come off them

I have said this with the hope you will not become addicted.

Every single person has the ability to become addicted to sedatives, tranquilisers, sleeping pills etc.

Was there an event that kicked these problems in?

Xxx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply linda.. I am in my first term of my second year of uni and its been very stressful. I've had a burglary and have been under significant amounts of stress and pressure. I have only been prescribed 6 pills that I have to cut in half each time
    • Posted

My heart goes out to you, being burgled is like your life has been invaded.

In time you will relax again.

The Police have a crime prevention team who will come to you and advise you on security. Its worth it for peace of mind.

Keep posting xx

• Posted

The GP said it feels like your life has been invaded too. I think it had triggered all of this. I'm due to go on holiday on Wednesday and the way I'm feeling, I'm dreading it. Dreading being at the airport because it's just crowds and worried about being on the plane also. So out of character for me!
    • Posted

I am like that at Manchester Piccadilly train station.it's horrendous. I can't cope with it.

Its people, crowds, too many platforms.

I freak out and have to take a sedative if I have to do that xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.