Losartan

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm female 60 years old recently put on meds for high BP. I also have Fybromyalgia I mention that because it seems what ever tablets I'm given for BP (,Losartan being the 4th tablet) my joint and muscle pain become some bad I struggle to even do the housework and where I used to walk the dog's for at least an hour I can only manage 15 mins  also I could walk round the shops for hour's now can't wait to get my weekly food shop done and get back home . My BP when I take it at home is anything from 116/71 ,to 133/77 on the meds , I have stopped taking Losartan for 2 week's now and BP is  136/76 to 149/74 when I go to the docs the readings are always high 162/84 for example. I really can't cope with the pain when taking these tablet's especially in my knees has anyone else experienced this , is there even a tablet for BP that doesn't make you feel ill .I have stopped these but not told the doc yet as can't face being put on another tablet I am feeling so well at the moment I take my BP daily it's usually 140 something over 82 is that really too high for my age. Would love to hear from anyone on this subject.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

our numbers its sounds like white coat syndrome they seem fine at home
  • Posted

I was put on Amlodipine for high bp and suffered bad side effects of swollen knees,feet and ankles. I have arthritis in my knees and the Dr said it was the arthritis causing the problem not the medication. It was not getting my bp down so she doubled the dose...still didn't get my bp down but caused more swelling in my legs! I read on this forum of other people with the same reaction so stopped the tablets. The swelling went down within 3 days. I  saw a different Dr at my surgery who agreed that I had a problem with the medication. Reading up online I read that I was about 3 stone overweight for my height. I joined slimming world, have Lost over 2 stone in 6 months, my BP is down and I no longer need any medication.
  • Posted

should read your numbers     have you thought about a 24 hour monitor Ann?
  • Posted

Hi Ann:   I don't have hypertension, but my 88 year old mother does.  She has been to the ER numberous times because of side effects from different BP medications.  I bought an automatic BP machine about a year ago and whenever I would check her BP, it was extremely high, scary high.  Then she would say, "it's been like that for years".  Anyway, after numerous medications and still high numbers, my sister did some research and found that eggplant juice can natually lower and control blood pressure.  So, I'm saying" yeah, right".  Well, a couple of days ago I take my mother to the store and the pharmacy has a brand new, sit down blood pressure machine.  So, we take her blood pressure and shockingly it was 120/80.  My jaw drops.  I'm shocked.  My mother says she's been making her own eggplant juice.  She is still taking the BP medication, but it never actually worked before.  So I know that it's the eggplant juice.  There are likely instructions you can look up.  Anyway, we are now looking into drinking this on a regular basis.  I hope you will try it. 
    • Posted

Can you buy the juice in the UK? Google did not find it. As she juices it does she add anything to it?
    • Posted

The general instructions are to put the eggplant through a juicer and drink the pure raw juice.  We have a powerful blender and are planning on blending an eggplant with some water and ice and the drink it.  My mother says that she boils the sliced up eggplant in water, then cools it off and drinks 1 8oz glass a day, but boiling it is not recommended.  You don't need to add anything to it, unless you want to improve the flavor by juicing carrots or apples with it.  I don't know if it sold already as a juice, I have never seen it in a bottle.
  • Posted

annj, as youir home readings are so good, it sounds as though you may simply be suffering white coat syndrome where your BP increases at the surgery.  My consultant would be thrilled if I presented him with a reading of 140/82!  
    • Posted

Let's thrill your consultant.  Please try the eggplant juice and let us know what happens.  Just for info., my mother is around 60 or 70 lbs overweight 88 yrs old and never exercises.  But she got her BP to 120/80 in just a few months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.