Losartan 50

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering, those who exercise and take Losartan how do you replinish your electrolytes? The reason I ask is, are you not supposed to limit potassium while taking this medication? I have been thinking about Gatorade but I'm not sure about the extra potassium in the product. Any in sights would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Losartan and similar medicines e.g candesartan, valsartan can cause accumulation of potassium in the body. Although this is not too common a side effect it does mean that you'll need blood tests to check potassium among other things every now and then. It does not cause you to lose potassium however, so you should avoid consuming excess amounts of potassium in your diet. Potassium supplements are not a good idea.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

I was wondering why GP's never mention to be careful about eating foods which contain potassium, such as bananas, spinach etc when taking losartan.. I've had to read about it on the Internet.
  • Posted

I suppose in the 5-10 minute slot they give you, when they need to listen to the description of a person's medical complaint, formulating a diagnosis and deciding on a treatment if appropriate, they probably don't get the time !
  • Posted

I have asked my doctor twice now, both times they say "eat whatever you want, just watch your salt." Are all the ACE inhibitors like this one? My pulse goes way up on this one, and then drops back down after a couple of hours. Then I fall asleep on the couch. Like clock work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.