Losartan

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI

I have recently been put onto Losartan, after developing a Ramipril cough. After some adjustment, it has been agreed with my GP to put my dosage to 50mg taken at night.

However, the last few days I have been feeling very woolly-headed when moving around. I have now taken a few readings at various times and I think I may be getting a drop in pressure when standing. Sitting pressure is showing 130/78. Standing straight after the sitting reading is give my 118/70. Should I go back to GO?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Im on 50 Losartan after being on Ramapril ,I get balance problem ,harder when I stand up out of bed ,need to sit back down. So I know it's blood pressure drop ,what I now do is cut this 50 in half  take half before bed and other half next morning ,if a med has a cutting line on it this you can do ,try that see if it makes a difference . What I also now do ,don't turn to stand up out of bed ,go to bottom of bed and stand straight up slowly . 
    • Posted

Yes, turning as I was getting up is what did it for me.
    • Posted

Hi

I had to move my Losartan dose from morning to just before going to bed because of the woolly head.

It does not seem too bad when I first get up - it seems to worsen when I go out and about. Thanks for your advice.

I think I will go back to GP as I can't function properly.

• Posted

Yes Id definatley get Dr to check it out ,it was my daughter in law who told me to take them at night she's a heart nurse , we've all got different tolerant thresholds to all meds , like you can be fine for a long time on one ,then one day it's changed . Losartan seems to get the best press in regards to side affects ,but maybe this ones not right for you , it happens . Ramapril gave me a cough , many get that with it ,Losartan gives me a bit of a tickly throat ,nothing compared to Ramapril,but I do have Sinisitis which can be the tickle cough at times . So no big Prob ,more throat clearing from Sinus mucus . I think BP meds affect my tinnitus since been on Tabs . Tinnitus spikes . When you see Dr get back here and tell us whats said and if you got a change in med . Stress is a BP ( high ) kicker . Plus it can go up just having a Dr take it by 10/15 points . 
    • Posted

I take 25mg of losartan, been taking it for 3 years and 2 years ago I started having a bad breathing problem, looked up side effects and one is breathing problem, anyone having this problem. Need help.
    • Posted

Go back to Dr ,maybe you need a med change ,I've never had breathing issue ,but like I said it can change ,body make up does it after a while ,like getting headaches etc ,always look at any med first . Go get it checked ,better than sitting and worrying  and we all know stress pushes BP up . 
  • Posted

I'd keep an eye on the diastolic figure. During my stint in hospital after having my stroke, the nurse commented on my blood pressure being low. Having had HBP drummed into me all my life, I said that's got to be good isn't it.

As I think you know, she said no, because if the pressure isn't there to pump the blood straight away and you get up from the chair, toilet etc. very quickly, there won't be enough blood getting to your head and you'll pass out.

Sure enough, when I got home, within days, I jumped out of bed quickly one day and went to open the curtains, and the room began to spin and I blacked. Luckily for me, I slumped backwards against a fitted wardrobe and gently slid to the floor.

It was a long time beffore I made any sudden sharp movements after that.

• Posted

It sometimes takes a while to find a BP medication that agrees with you. I was on 25mg of Losartan and it made me feel a bit lightheaded sometimes, but was good for BP. I went back to GP for a random cough though and not because of the light-headedness. I am now on Candesartan, which is a lot better, but can cause the occasional headache. If you aren't feeling right with the medication, always consult your GP, and between you will eventually get the right tablet for you. Good luck.
  • Posted

Losartan had that effect on me initially but after a month or so it settles down as your body gets used to it. I used to have a problem standing up when the bus got to my stop:-)

I tried taking it at various times of the day and also spiliing the dose. It is the one that has given me no other side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.