Losartan 50mg vs 100mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've notice that taking losartan 100mg doesn't make any difference than the 50mg, does anyone know why?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Losartan is an ARB, which means the body has to convert it to the active form, and the body will only convert so much, so that large doses don't usually get much more of the drug into your blood stream.  It's probably on the drug insert information that this is the case.

• Posted

will2390...likely because the Losartan isn't working well for you. Perhaps a different med would do the trick. Consult your doctor.

• Posted

It was the same for me when I took the dose all at once without diuretic. When I split it into two doses and took HCTZ with both doses then I got additional effect from the increased dosage.
    • Posted

Dave94501..YES!...you were taking the Losartan on its own...then added a diuretic. It was the diuretic that helped the Losartan lower the bp; therefore you are now taking 2 bp medications. Usually if a med isn't working say at 50mg, increasing the dosage doesn't usually help & puts the patient at risk for any further side effects. Drs sometimes add a diuretic, to see if that works. If it does, then things are left alone for a bit.

• Posted

Mike,

I don't think you understood my post.

For me losartan 100 taken alone once a day did not work better than losartan 50.

Of course losartan + HCTZ works better than losartan alone. That is not the topic. (BTW, HCTZ virtually turbo charges losartan.)

My statement is that for me losartan 100 + HCTZ works better that losartan 50 + HCTZ IF you split the dosage and take twice a day. 

• Posted

Dave94501...Ok. Let's see if I do understand you know.. Losartan100 +the diuretic works better than Losartan 50 +LCTZ.. So, you're splitting the 100mg tab with diuretic...taking 1/2 say in the morning, then 1/2 later in the day??? That's still taking 100 mg. in total. I used to take 50mg Atenolol in halfs...25mg in the am, 25 mg later in the day. I went back to my previous Dr. & he was perplexed at that. I asked about taking the full 50mg at once, & I was advised it was ok. The Pharmacist said the same thing., in fact I was told.."that med is meant to be taken 1x day". 

I think what's happening with your case is that splitting the medication is stopping the bp spikes.

In Will's case, perhaps the 100mg Losartan isn't helping him at all without a diuretic. Sometimes a med doesn't work for someone., but increasing the dosage either works, or simply increases side effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.