Losartan and Bisoprolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive been taking Losartan 100 mg for a month but pressure still high so DR added bisoprolol small dose. Its a beta blocker and reading scary things about them. i don't handle meds well ( side effects of AMLODIPHINE sent me to ER several times. i) Is anyone on this combo? If so whats been your experience?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm taking Losartan 100 mg twice a day, Bisoprolol/hctz 5/6.25 once a day, and Amlodipine 5mg once a day, and the only side effect I experience is some dizziness/lightheadeness when I'm working out hard and have to move from a reclining position to standing up. Other than that, I've been fine on this combo and am seeing great BP results. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, I was started on Bisoprolol in 1998.

I was taking Bisoprolol 10mg

Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg

Losartan 50mg

quite happily for several years until last year, my blood pressure took on a life of its own & I ended up in A&E - you call it the ER. They added Amlodipine but although it worked, I put on a stone in weight & Amlodipine didn't suit me.

I saw a Cardiologist in January & he gave me Eplerenone instead, again, it worked but didn't suit me. My GP changed the Eplerenone recently, to Spironolactone 25mg & finally, my blood pressure appears to be under control. My GP told me that he can still increase my Losartan to 100mg if necessary.

I now take:

Bisoprolol 10mg

Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg

Spironolactone 25mg all in the early morning

Losartan 50mg at approx 2pm

My blood pressure is increased because I have to take Prednisolone for an auto immune condition.

I do feel dizzy when I stand up from lying flat am ok from sitting.

I hope you find that Bisoprolol helps & good luck!

• Posted

. The risk of hyperkalaemia increase when eplerenone is used in combination with an ACE inhibitor and/or an ARB.

• Posted

Thank you VeeWat I am aware of that & my bloods were checked regularly. I am no longer taking Eplerenone

My bloods are still checked regularly

• Posted

Cynthia

i am in UK but I am not sure where you live. i take 100mg of Losartan in the morning together with Bisoprolol 5mg. This did not bring down my BP sufficiently. My cardiologist, who is very senior in London, then prescribed Eplerenone 25mg which I take at night and that has done the trick. My BP is down to normal and i feel well.

i guess we are all different. we tolerate medicines differently. I take WARFARIN for my metal mitral valve and i have Atria Fibrillation plus chronic coronary disease. i also have renal disease and am 84. Howevef, i am very active and travel long haul twice a year and i feel well

i only answered your query because I take LOSARTAN and BISPOPROLOL and the addition of EPLERENONE has made my life so much better. I just suggest you ask the doctor who is treating you about Eplerenone. it could help if your disease indicates it It may be no good at all!

• Posted

In the US many/most people are on a combo including at least three of the four categories: ace/arb, calcium channel, beta blocker, diuretic. I was on all four, and the only one that really caused a problem was the calcium channel - amlodipine. My BP has generally gotten better and I cut the amlodipine, and most of the others except as needed. Actually I think it was the diuretic that was most effective!

On the beta blocker, the first time I took a small dose it hit me so hard, I talked to the doctor and we cut it back, so I never take more than 1/4 of the standard minimum dose - but it works great for me, with minimal side effects. So depending on how it hits you, you might consider the same. FWIW I was/am on atenolol.

• Posted

hi jx

how much atenolol are you on?

which diuretic?

• Posted

I'm taking half a 25mg pill once a day, or less as needed.

I was recently also taking hctz, but have done without for several months now.

also 20mg of olmesartan, as needed.

None of these are generally prescribed "as needed", but in my case that seems to be what works - this year. A couple of years ago I was on them on regular dosing. But my BP came way down! Lost some weight, among other things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.