losartan and urinary tract infection

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone experienced a urinary tract infection when taking this medication?

I have only been on losartan one week and have severe pain in lower abdomen and frequently need to urinate.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Helen, I've been taking Losartan for about 6 weeks and did notice more of a sudden need to urinate at first. This appears to have settled. However, my creatinine levels have increased, so if I were you I would get it checked out with your GP - I assume you will be having the usual blood test shortly which is usually carried out within 2-4 weeks of starting such medication.
    • Posted

thanks Mrs O forgot all about post. I've been on the medication for about a year and a half already. I just wanted to check if anyone else had this problem as I keep getting symptoms of an infection but negative lab tests
    • Posted

lol I'm going nuts its not my thread sorry
  • Posted

Lower abdominal pain is a recognised side effect. Seems to get better after a few days. Is your BP coming down? A small proportion of patients lack breaking down enzymes and may show adverse effect. I would wait a few days but drink plenty of plain water to get the kidney function to eliminate drugs.

I was found to be a non-responder, the BP never came down. Now I'm on Lacardipine that is working well.

Best wishes

• Posted

i've been on losartan for about 2 years along with another bp tablet. I wish I'd read this then as I didn't realise the link. I have been going to my doctors regulary complaining of back pain frequent urine visits especially at night. They would give me anti-biotics and send the test off, it also came back negative. But there has always been blood or white cells in my urine. So I was sent for a cystocopy on Monday thankfully they found nothing but rang yesterday and said I had a urine infection. So I have been given 6 trimethoprim looked them up and it says they are to prevent urine infections, so annoyed. But when I checked losartan side effects it does say change in kidney function but not infections.

• Posted

Heken, I hope you're wrong about Losartan causing a change in kidney function, as I have been taking it for over a year now, and have only one kidney and diagnosed with reduced kidney function a few years ago!  I would panic if I thouht it was worsening my kidney function.  It did take my creatinine levels a little above normal at first, with a further increase at testing a month later but then dropped back down a little bit and seems to have stabilised at that point.  They seem to accept this increase as being part  and parcel of some of the BP pills.
  • Posted

Yes, I have on 100mg daily.

I'm now taking 75mg bd and it has not reoccurred.

I have decided that the urinary pain in my bladder region without any dysuria was due to me not taking enough fluid during the day.

Suggest increasing your fluid intake considerably, and later on you can be less religious about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.