Losartan and UTIs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Is anyone taking Losartan Potassium for their high blood pressure, please?  I have been taking Losartan 50mg for 3+ years, with various other drugs being added along the way, all with intolerable side effects so all stopped apart from the Losartan with the dose being increased to 100mg at the beginning of the year.

?Since March I have experienced two UTI's, each with different bacteria showing up in the culture.  It is very unusual for me to experience UTIs, let alone two in such a short time, and I am wondering whether the increased dose of Losartan is to blame.  As with so many of the blood pressure medications, my body didn't like some of the drugs prescribed for the UTI's, with one landing me in hospital with drug-acquired Clostridium Difficile!!

?The medication leaflet does mention UTI as a rare side effect, but the acclaimed Mayo Clinic site lists bladder/urine problems in the list of "More common" side effects.

I've had an ultrasound which showed up a grey patch so now waiting an appointment for a cystoscopy and obviously worried about the result.

?I would be really interested to hear whether anyone else has had a similar experience whilst taking Losartan, particularly at the 100mg dose, please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From livestrong, Losartan may cause various types of infections. Some that have been reported among users, are respiratory infections like bronchitis, flu-like symptoms, throat infections and sinus infections. Some people may also experience urinary tract infections. Sixteen percent of the 1,513 participants of the RENAAL study reported experiencing a urinary tract infection.

Hope that the cystoscopy goes well.

• Posted

Hi Derek and thank you.  It appears Livestrong got it right with the respiratory/throat infections, too, if my recent experience is anything to go by.  Along with the UTI's since December I've also had three chest infections, one alongside a throat infection.  Again, as with the UTIs, most unusual for me as I rarely even get a cold.  And "16% of 1,513 participants" is really quite a high percentage.  Really feeling frustrated if this is all down to the Losartan as it has been the only BP medication out of so many varieties so far that didn't make me feel lousy!

Hope you're doing ok these days, Derek.  

• Posted

Dear Friend,

As you quite rightly pointed out at the beginning of your post that, no one knows what the side effects of a particular drug for a particular person will  be, let alone the side effects of a combination of drugs.My 88 year old mother listens to the recommendation of her doctor but tells me that she later adjusts the dose herself, to suit her own body metabolism .100 mg Losartan is reasonably a high dose , you will need to monitor yourself and adjust the dose accordingly, and inform your doctor on your findings, i would say.

Good luck with it.

• Posted

Thank you, enda, but I'm not sure about adjusting the dose myself as your mother does - after all, it is to bring down the blood pressure (and mine is not very responsive to treatment).  I've taken up the matter with TEVA, the manufacturers of Losartan and have passed their forms to GP to help but she won't complete them yet until I have had the operation to remove what the urologist seems sure is a tumour!!  Pre-op assessment next Monday -  everything crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.