Losec or Prilosec

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking long term Losec 10mg once a week, and it works. But is it safe enough? I've tried to stop it, or reduce the dose, but it doesn't work, as I start having the reflux symptoms. Even within the week I may have once-in-a-while reflux, and then I take an H2 blocker.

Thank you.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How long are you taking Losec? What are your side effects? Do you take it on a daily basis? What other drugs do you take with it?
    • Posted

I am taking it for over 10 yrs. As to side effects, as I am 79 yrs old, so it is not easy to say which of my various ailments or disturbances are caused by Losec. I have some allergic reactions, and what is normal for my age, such as larger prostate (benign) affecting my pee, starting to forget some names once in a while (but no alzheimer yet, thank God.) I only take ONE 10mg pill every Friday (so one every week), and no other drugs with it.
  • Posted

If you take one Losec a week then this is perfectly safe and fine, remember, you are also taking the lowest possible dose. You should not worry a thing about it especially if you are not consuming other drugs..
    • Posted

Thank you. Are you a doctor?
  • Posted

No, just a guy who has been studying these drugs for over 3 years...
    • Posted

I have reflux/hh/gerd - I have just come across this thread  tho I am on Patient uk - I have never heard of Losec - how can one pill a week help?  I refused PPI's last year and take 150mg Ranitidine am and pm along with Pepzin and Mastic Gum.  It can go for days then come back.  Hard to work it out, dropped milk from diet (well I have skimmed or Soya) and meat, citrus, onions, spices.  Any thoughts ?  I will look up Prilosec and Losec.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.