Losing all hope with Achilles Tendinopathy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys, hoping I could share my story with you in the hope someone has experience in what I am suffering.

First of all my story begins over 2 years ago, I was doing a lot of work and playing sport, football (soccer) training 3 days a week and running usually 2 nights. I was really putting the effort in and feeling the results until I hit a wall, that wall being my injury. All started with a real stiffness in my left foot, it felt like my foot locked and stiffened up. This gradually got worse until I could not get no longer than May be 2.5 -

3 miles. This gradually got worse until I seen a podiatrist and a physio where I was put on strengthening it and gave my exercise.

I have also had an MRI scan, insoles to correct my problem and latest being a saline injection. I don't believe anything had happened to benefit me, as I do go out a run the odd time and it is sore after or during I finish.

I have had this 2 years now, I was made to feel if the injections don't work then there is nothing that can be done. I have had to give up running now and play sport occasionally. I just losing all hope and so frustrated. I miss running so much ;(

Any help or advise would be great

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I originally got my injury playing football. Doctor sent me to physio and had a few months of that. The physio wasn’t happy with progress so referred me to orthopaedic surgeon. The guy was an idiot! Put me in a cast for 2 weeks to see if that would help then when it didn’t said it was Achilles tendinitis and it would take about 12 months to heal. He referred me back to another physio. This one said it wasn’t my Achilles then sent me to podiatry. The podiatrist spent literally 5 mins with me and said it was definitely Achilles and it needed to have ultrasound scan done. 

Got the ultrasound done and was referred to a different orthopaedic surgeon. He took one look at the scan and booked in for surgery as the tendon was so calcified. 

Had Achilles decompression surgery (where they remove the damaged parts then make lots of incisions in the Achilles to try and get it to heal from scratch). Basically had this surgery repeated 3 times and was still in pain and unable to run.

I then tried acupuncture which didn’t help either. Saw pain clinic and tried tens machine and pain relief patches too. 

Went to see yet another surgeon who wanted me to try a high volume injection of saline around the Achilles. He said if this didn’t work it would be a major op and would need tendon transfer from big toe as well as tendon decompression again. Had to try this as was now 7-8 years of being in pain. Had the surgery in August and doing so much better now. I’d already given up the football but can now walk and jog and not be in pain.

Think you need to ask for referral to orthopaedics and for a scan of the tendon to see if there’s damage done to it. Think surgery may end up being a real possibility if nothing else has worked 👎🏼

• Posted

I have had MRI scan which showed mild swelling but was told this is not the best place to get results for my issue. The ultrasound showed up a thickening wall around my tendon on my left ankle which gives me the most problems. That showed up when I got the saline injected into me but the result from that is nothing I still am getting pain when running.

I'm now at a loss on what to do and where to go from here, every person I have seen turns into a dead end. It's really difficult to explain a pain that I get that is not there on a day to day basis but flares up when I exercise, I feel like nobody takes me serious and I am lying or something.

As for sport I am playing football but I train one night a week and play on a Saturday. But my base of fitness isn't what it used to be due to not being able to do any running. I know there are other means and ways to keep fit but I just don't enjoy it, I love team based events where I was involved in a running club but having to give it all up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.