Losing Hair Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have noticed for a couple of months my hair seems thinner. I take quie alot of vitamins, especially B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and omega 3. I was very anemic in the past couple of years, but thought that since I have been in menopause for about a year, my iron levels would be OK. Also been hypothyroid, but dr says my blood tests are now OK.

I know hair loss can be a problem in the menopause. I have noticed loss from the temples area in particular, - bald patch behind ears which has got worse - UGGHH!  I have long hair, so mange to hide it for now. Going to the DR today to ask for blood tests. Maybe I should be on HRT.

Any advice anyone?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

ask your doctor if your magnesium level is ok, as you didn't mention that you are taking it.   worth a try. 
    • Posted

I do take magnesium daily.

I was wondering if oestragen patches might help.  I tried the Ostroegen and Progestrogene HRT combination, and I started putting on weight and worse of all, got loads of acne on my back and face, so I came off it.

Has anyone else found oestregen patches helpful?

• Posted

Hi Ursula,

Mine did that in early peri I could notice there was more blocking the plug when I washed it and also in my hairbrush. Thinning at the temples and my part you could see my scalp more.

It did seem to get a bit better later on and now although my ponytail is not as thick as it used to be I don't look quite as bad.

I'm on HRT but only recently but I am having to pluck occasional eyebrows since starting it and I haven't had to bother with that for 10 years. So maybe HRT is helping. It's too early for me to tell with the hair on my head yet.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for this. I did qask my Dr about HRT and she asked if I had bad hot flushes, palpitations, bad insomnia vaginal dryness, aches and pains, exhaustion, and actually to be fair I dont.  She said I was very lucky and that unless I had some of these symptons, especially hot flushes, HRT was not advisable. Also my thyroid and iron levels were checked in late January, - so I seems I havnent got a problem!

I'll go back if it gets worse or of course if I get any of the other symptons, so all I can do is relax more, take up yoga and keep taking the vitamins!

• Posted

Ok, lucky you not having other symptoms.

I hope like mine it settles down at some point.

It is quite scary when you see your hair disappearing.

• Posted

It is scary.  I have done some research, and the best thing I can find to try is to do a daily scalp massage with olive or almond, or coconut oil then leave it in overnight, then rinse it out - needs doing every night, and should stimulate the hair follicles to grow. Takes a few months to see a real difference. I just invested in a bunch of plastic shower caps, so all my pillows dont end up covered in olive oil.  Luckily this solution - if it works, - seems pretty cheap, and without any potential side effects which can come with HRT.
    • Posted

Also worth seeing what your

I think it's ferritin score is on a blood test.

Ok I've looked it up serum ferritin. It's something to do with iron, if it's low can cause hair loss.

I did go to a tricologist and although my doctor said my levels were fine she said they were on the low side.

Whatever it was they gave me I don't remember but I didn't take much because I was constipated anyway and the medication just made it worse.

• Posted

I have had my ferritin- iron - levels checked recently and they are fine. I did used to be very low in iron, but during that time I had no problems with my hair.  I guess it must be the fall in oestrogen levels. 

My husband keeps saying he doesnt think it - my hair - looks any different - but thats the sort of thing he says!

• Posted

My husband didn't agree with me until he had to unblock the drain and pulled out what looked like a ladies clip in ponytail hairpiece. He had never had to do it before.
  • Posted

I've noticed that my hair is thinning and also become quite dry etc., when I had looked it up I read that at 'this' age it can be expected. sad 

Not sure about the bald patches. That could be stress or peri, or a number of things I really don't know. I hope you get some answers and give feedback. smile

• Posted

Hi, well I'm trying the massage and olive oil and will let you know if things start to improve!
    • Posted

I took a supplement from a herbalist for a while it was nasty tasting, I don't think it made it thicker but condition looked better after a while.
    • Posted

Are you losing hair anywhere else? I lost eyebrow thickness and pubic hair as well.
    • Posted

That would be great. I do miss my hair although never glorious it was certainly passable!
    • Posted

Yes some of the hair 'down below' ;ike yourself, which doesnt really bother me, but not eyebrow hair. I have always had quite thick dark eyebrows, and theyre still the same.  I do get some quite thick hairs on my chin, which I have to pluck, which I have had for years.  I ws hoping these might slow down growth or stop, but sadly not!
    • Posted

Yeah I have beard hair too. I couldn't see them (I'm so glad I started needing glasses about the time I began to get wrinkles).

My daughter saw one and tried to pluck it for me in the queue at waitrose!

I seemed to loose hair on my thighs as well, I used to have very dark quite long hair and I only every took them off if I was going to wear shorts (not very often). I noticed they had all but gone, not sure about under arms or lower legs because I always shave there.

• Posted

Well my husband has finally admitted that I do have some bald patches, - luckily still able to hide them as I have long hair, and its mostly on the temples and underneath at the back.   I have been taking alot of vitamins recently and also using hair treatments which I left on overnight. One morning recently after I left it on, my hair was parctically rigid and I brushed it before I rinsed the stuff out and alot of hair came out at that point. I also cloured the roots at the sides and underneath a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking maybe all this messing about has actually made it worse, so I'm going to just leave it alone apart from simple shampooing and conditioning.  I'm hoping maybe that'll help. Im seeing the Dr again soon, so I'll talk about it again. Maybe I do need NRT afterall.
    • Posted

Yes mine was very evident at the temples. It doesn't look as bad these days as it did at one point.

I stopped dyeing it, I'd used the same dye for years but it began stinging first during the lady 10 minutes and gradually getting worse until it was stinging all over my head almost as soon as it was applied.

I got weave highlights where they followed my own grey and now I'm leaving it, I have a slight change if you look close where it's natural going into the bleach. I didn't want to cut it so it's an easier transition than going from very dark to greying.

• Posted

Well after a few days thinking my lovely hair has gone for good I've taken the - for me - drastic measure of doing nothing at all to it and leaving it tied back at all times, maybe washing it once a week, hoping maybe if I just give it a rest it will respond and start growing back. I used to wash it every day, colour it etc, and I think its just telling me its had enough!

My husband has really thick healthy soft hair - always has - and I'm so jelous! He keeps telling me its like that because he hardly ever washes it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.