Losing hair with MTX

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on MTX for a while now but recently upped the dose to 20mg. I've noticed a lot of hair coming out with no follicles attached. My understanding of hair loss is that if the hair follicle comes out the hair doesn't regrow. As our hair should regrow on stopping MTX I'm assuming that it should be just the hair and not the follicles too? Just want to know what happens to others with hair loss. Mine is just going a bit thin all over, not in patches.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Plaquenil for almost a year and started Methotrexate 6 months ago.  In the past year, I have lost about 1/3 of my hair.  It could have been caused by medication or one of the autoimmune conditions that I have.  Hair loss has slowed down a bit for me, but is still occuring.  The doctors don't know what is causing it.  Thanks for the tip about the follicles.

• Posted

Hello Mary,

I have not experienced hair loss while taking MTX, but I was only on 20 mg for a short period of time because of liver function issues according to the quarterly blood tests. Hair loss is a symptom of MTX in about ten percent of those taking this medication. I am guessing you are also on folic acid every day along with the MTX. My rheumatologist increased my folic acid from 1 mg to 2 mg daily when my blood tests came back less than desirable. Talk to your rheumatologist about this, perhaps he or she has a solution. Folic acid is supposed to help fight the hair loss issue.

Don

• Posted

Hi Don, 

i have to be careful of liver function issues too and that is why I was reduced on MTX to 10mg a day, now that my blood tests have improved I've been put back to 20mg and now take one folate a day and two the day after MTX. It's only since the MTX went up again that I've noticed the hair loss (I had very thick hair) just wondering if it's just the hair that falls or the follicle too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.