Losing hope

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I want something to give me a quick fix but I know that's not possible. I was taking citalopram for a little over 4 months. Was on it before and it really helped so went back on it when my anxiety crept back again. This Time however it was horrific. Made me so much worse than before, I was filled with such constant fear and panic attacks that I became worse than when I started and stopped being able to go out completely.

I switched to sertaline almost 4 weeks ago 50mg and I would say it's got a bit better. I'm going out more but only for short bursts and I'm always on edge. I'm never anxiety free and relaxed and I just want a break from this. I'm just losing hope and keep thinking this is my life now and I don't want it to be. I was so social and happy before I just couldnt cope with stress very well. Now I'm just existing. I've cut out caffeine stopped drinking and smoking, taken up yoga read self help books and listened to hypnotic tapes but nothing is working. I don't know if this is me or the drugs anymore. I want to go back to work and just go to the pub and get my life back.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would go up in mg. They say it's a good one. I couldn't take it. My husband is on it. He Has done well. I think once you get to 150mg you will feel like a new person.

• Posted

Sertraline by far is one of the safest antidepressant drugs there is. I had been on 50 mg for 4 years and only weaned off slowly recently as i wanted out. It worked well for me. But now i am suffering horrible withdrawal symptoms. I cry a lot, feel fatigued and drained and altogether terrible but i made a promise to myself that i will never again go back on it ever, come what may. I am positive i will get out of this but it will need all the mental strength i have.
  • Posted

Hi lara

iv been on 100mg for 10 weeks now and have found it to be really good. My anxiety is  all but gone.  I'd say up your dose to 100 as 50 is the starter dose on this med. it will work it's just a waiting game but the good times will defo come soon. Hang in there we are all here to support you. I like you had really bad anxiety a couple of months ago, I could even leave my bed, but now I'm a different person altogether thanks to this med. I would also say force yourself to be busy no matter how hard it is. I did and it helped get me back on track. 

Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you it's so helpful to hear positive stories. I keep forgetting I've only been on sertaline for 4 weeks but I've been fighting this for many more months on citalopram so it feels like forever.

• Posted

Hi,

How long at 100mg did it take you to start having good days again?

I have beem taking 100 mg of Zoloft for 5 weeks. The anxiety has lessened, but the depresson is still bad. Not as bad as it was though.

• Posted

Hi. It took around 7-8 weeks for me to start feeling like my old self again. The  key is to force yourself to get busy which really helps. These drugs work best when combined with self help. Good luck and hang in there the good times will come 
  • Posted

I can understand your problem so well. I weaned off on the Sertraline 50 mg which i took for 4 years. I stopped it completely 2 months ago and now am in the worst state possible. I wish i had never got on the drug in the first place. I cry for no reason at all. Anything is enough to set me off. I feel drained and totally helpless. I have friends who i talk to and pray regularly. I would do anything to be my normal self again. But i know for sure that inspite of the way i feel now i can and will get better. So hang in there. Force yourself to go out and talk to people. I do deep breathing exercises and meditation as much as i can. I also go to the gym. Nothing is impossible but the strength has to come from within. Counselling also helps but try and stay off the drugs please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.