Losing my patience at 5 weeks post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

left knee arthroscopy 5 weeks ago and have hit a plateau and very worried it won't get better. I am a very active 58 female and a nurse. I had a simple clean up on my knee and have been doing all my PT excercise said, water aerobics and went back to office work only last week. My knee is still swollen and not bending near as well as pre op. I still can't get off toilet without holding onto walls.....help. When will I be able to function properly again or ever?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I had double knee arthroscopy and it has been five weeks now - I’m so frustrated and disheartened. Left knee is worse. I am 47 and very active but getting fatter with no exercise and depressed about lack of yoga, walking, cycling, water sports. Has anyone had both knees done and any experience of recovery time? My doctor told me a month but that’s far too unrealistic. I’m doing PT plus icing and heating pre-PT as advised by physio. 
    • Edited

Hi Emma,

Sorry to hear this...I feel your pain and frustration. I only had my left knee done and has been 4.5 months. I am back doing all my activities but cannot do a full child’s pose in yoga as my left knee does not allow my heal to reach my butt. But.....I can do everything else. No pain, just stiffness. As far as one month, forget that.....totally unrealistic! Do your PT twice daily and don’t falter on that. Make sure you have a big balance ball to keep your knees flexible and loosening up daily 💪

• Edited

Hi Inga....that's an old post. How are you doing  now? My arthroscopy is at 6 mos. now and still not able to do a whole day w/o pain.....even after a cortsone and gel shot. A friend is having a knee replacement next month and they are telling her she can go home the next day and walk 1/4 mi. after 2 wks. She's 68. .....On the other side of it my daughter had a knee replacement in Oct. and still experiences pain and swelling. She's 57. I guess any surgery results are per individual.

• Posted

HI Luanne, thanks for checking in. I am now 4 months post op and doing better. I started back dance classes and although I can't turn quickly, it's progress. I still adhere to twice daily PT excercises but am bummed that I cannot squat to do gardening which I love. I feel I need a trainer to work with me. I have no pain but still stiffness and not that flexible. Are your mornings good?.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are making progress! Mornings are pretty good and flex isn't bad. It's walking and  as the day winds on  I limp more and more. It's affecting my hip and back. Not sure what comes next but will check in with my surgeon as soon as I can get in. 6 mos. is too long to feel like this.

• Posted

I’m not sure if it’s useful but I got diagnosed with tendinitis due to excessive PT. now that I have dealt with the tendinitis my recovery has been speedy! Perhaps that’s the problem with others?
    • Posted

Interesting.....did you have pain or just lack of flexibility?
  • Edited

Lots of inflexibility and a constant ‘catching’ sensation. Sometimes knee gives way. But lots of stretching, muscle relaxants and tons of massage in only a few days has made a huge difference. No resistance training. 
  • Posted

I’m on about 9 week post arthroscopy and  partial cartilage removal  op and although still pain after walking long distances or fast or standing on the train I have no other problems.  At 5 weeks I was still in quiet a bit of pain. When I knew I was going in I read everyone’s “reviews and concerns “ on here and from previous knee op experience many years ago I came to the conclusion that instead of rushing and overdoing it . I was really lucky that My surgeon signed me off for 6 weeks so I spent 4 weeks mainly resting with my leg up using crutches when I walked .  It was really hard  but it gave my knee and had time it needed to 

recover.  I would suggest reducing the amount of exercise/ physio and when possible rest with your leg up with ice on. 

• Edited

oh my, I am there. I keep asking myself why did i do this. my issues, post op arthroscopic 6 weeks- swelling, pain in the back of the knee, inability to walk after sitting or sleeping. Imagine going to lunch with a friend after 6 weeks, and standing in the middle of the restaurant unable to move. I felt like an idiot. I have to use a walker to use bathroom in the night, and the walls. I feel your pain. I feel like there's no return, but after reading the comments here, I feel hope. ❤

• Posted

hello. did your knee improve? if so, how long after?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.