Losing the plot

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi new to this, think I have developed health anxiety but not sure which is half the problem I think, It started last August whilst working away, I was doing exams and was stressed, my body was worn down as I had a bad abses on my tooth/gum which I was waiting to have out and was on strong pain killers. night before my final exam I had what seemed like a panic attack in the early hours of the morning. I hadn't slept most the week. then over the next few months I developed more serious attacks putting me in hospital several times. After changing my diet they seem to have settled however my mental well being seems to have worsened, I have lost  over 2 stone in weight and feel terrible even though everybody around me has noticed the weight loss and say I look great for it. My stomach has felt off for around 2 months now with no signs of improvement, I get shooting pains down each side aswell. I can no longer drink coffee as It makes me feel like I will have an attack and I feel very fragile and just wanna sleep and rest the next day if I have alcohol. I am 39 and prior to all this have always been fit and healthy. I've had blood tests and a recent bowel camera all of which have come back clear apart from raised blood pressure and cholesterol.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Stress causes anxiety and it also causes you to be run down.

I was an avid coffee drinker until my anxiety started and now I cant touch it it is a stimulant along with alcohol tobacco and weed.

I would go and talk to your doctor about it medication can be given in some anxiety situations but its not for everyone.

Councelling is also an option.

Take Care

Lil

• Posted

Hi, thanks lil, do you think it is anxiety and stress is causing my upset stomach it just came from nowhere 1 weekend, it was like a stomach bug for 1st few days but has just never gone. The front of my lower belly feels delicate and I have a constant dull ache sad
    • Posted

Hi Carl,

I definitely think your stomach problems are due to anxiety, especially as you've had tests.

When people are distressed or anxious, a lot of the time they can't eat.

I agree with Lillie that you should see your doctor to talk about medication. Os therapy - but just go and see her/him for reassurance. Love Tess

• Posted

Yeh been there also

I had ct scan and endoscope because of stomach problems was told it was anxiety.

There are so many anxiety symptoms its hard to keep up sometimes

Lil

• Posted

Hey carl51 I have had the same problems as you and I want to assure you that anxiety is the cause of all these problems. I become especially prone to having phantom health issues when under times of increased stress, such as exam times, and sounds like you have the same. 

The first time I had a panic attack was in a restaurant so I tend to have uneasy feelings in restaurants because my brain associates those feelings with that particular space. The brain is a very powerful thing. Once I freaked myself out so much that one side of my body went numb. You're totally normal and I assure you that nothing is wrong with you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.