losing weight......

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since being depressed I've lost my appetite and am losing weight. Ive lost almost 1stone in a week, has anyone else experienced this loss of appetite?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon

Yes I too lost over two stone in a matter of three weeks, my appetite was zero. It is so hard to force yourself to eat when the very idea of eating is a no go! I managed to drink complan which is much the same as a protein drink. Plus a banana daily, that was as much as I could manage.

It's important you find a little something to eat. I know how hard it is when every part of you doesn't want food.

As your depression lifts a bit your appetite will start to return.

Make sure you drink plenty of water.

god bless

Lorraine xx

• Posted

Hey Simon thats pretty common man ! trouble is I found as soon as I started taking meds I packed on some weight even exercising ? mind you my diet hasnt changed I like pizza too much.
  • Posted

Yes Simon, I've no appetite at all , no idea how much I've lost but food just doesn't have any appeal , do you find this ?
    • Posted

Yer Lucy, I just find that I can't be bothered eating, even if something looks yummy!!
    • Posted

Would be good to enjoy food again hey Simon ? I'm sure it'll happen in the future
    • Posted

The minute my appetite appears again I'm booking myself a slap-up meal, the full Monty 😊
    • Posted

If depression affects your'e eating habits its usually one extreme or another. I know people who have both problems. My hubby, bless him, tends to overeat - comfort eat - when he is low or very stressed/both. I suffer from depression and have done for years, but it doesnt affect my eating.   I remember being jelous of a couple of friends whose husbands had left them with small kids to look after and started divorce proceedings, and they lost loads of weight and looked just amazing. I'd just had my son and had postnatal depression and was struggling to lose weight post pregnancy. I know its pretty shallow minded of me, because my friends were devastated and in emotional turmoil, but my own depression had kicked in and I thought - well at least youre getting something out of it - i.e. losing weight, and I have to say I did feel pretty ashamed of myself!

If you start antidepressant meds that will usually help to normalise youre appetite. You should go to your GP about this asap.

Lots of Luck

• Posted

Hi simon I never have an appetite when depressed but try to have a banana or yogurt. Its the only thing I can stomach.

Hope you don't feel alone in this x

• Posted

Actually, make that 1 1/2 stone and still losing weight.....
    • Posted

Hi Simon

How long have you been on citalopram for and what dose are you on? Your appetite will be reluctant to return until your depression eases.

I know even when people tell you to try and eat..probability is you don't because the hunger or want for food is not there!

It is so important you get something down you eg protein shake or similar, otherwise recovery may take longer. I use to force myself and push a little soft food in my mouth and swallow it with a mouthful of water! I would still retch like crazy but I knew I needed to eat something small to not spiral into malnutrition related illness. Think of something you can tolerate that doesn't take much in the way of preparation.

Keep in touch

god bless xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I am actually eating now, I don't have breakfast, have fruit for lunch and a reasonable plate full of food in the evening but still losing weight. I'm onfluoxetine, 20mg a day. Think they are starting to work.

• Posted

Wonderful Simon

so pleased you are managing to eat now. Try getting some extra carbs down you next!

keep me posted!

Lorraine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.