Losing weight after gallstone op

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

Would like to hear if anyone has had problems with weight loss after having their gallbladder removed. I had mine removed 8 months ago and since the op have lost 2 stone and am now underweight. I did manage to put about 4 pounds at xmas but I literally had to stuff my face silly. It was a novelty at first being able to eat what I wanted but now I am fed up with people saying that I look scrawny. I feel fine in myself and eat healthily but it seems as though having the op has altered my metabolism. I have tried googling it but it seems people seem to have the opposite problem - weightgain after having their gallbladder removed, so I would be really interested to hear what everybody elses experience has been

Bev :D

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out April 2009. Prior to that I had lost over 4st through feeling so ill. The weight continued to keep coming off but not so drastically after the op because I was unable to eat. 9 months on and at long last I am able to eat better and some weight has gone back on. Trouble is I don't really want it to but I least my face doesn't look as scrawny. Give it time. A fellow sufferer on this site, Dr Spock, told me to give it a year before everything settled. I think he was so right.
  • Posted

I was hardly going to say that you have years of suffering ahead! :P :wink: :lol: :oops:
  • Posted

Where have you been? Hope you are not suffering too much. Would you believe I had to have another op! As I said above I am now eating and feeling better but have a complication, a seroma, in the groin area. The surgeon says this happens sometimes after an op so will see me in 2 months to see if it has subsided. Regarding the gallbladder after affects - I still have to keep low fat. I have not had the runs many people have but I ate two naughty items together, in a mad moment, chocolate and crisps and imeediately had stomach cramps and needed the loo. I have been in a false sense of security. Low fat, little and often is still the only way. I do hope Dr Spock you are not having too many problems. You seem to have been off the site for ages.

They repaired my hernia by keyhole so yet another entry through the navel but he made a good job of it. Why some of the people suffering with gallstones worry about a few scars I don't know.

• Posted

Oh :oops: I have been floating about smile
  • Posted

Hello just wonder if anyone can help me,I had my gall bladder out the 4th february ,it all went ok but I keep getting a pain were my bladder was ,if I bend ,stretch or pull my knees up a pain shoots through me ,on the right side,is this normal at this stage?
  • Posted

Hi

It is only 11 days since you had major surgery - everything has got to heal. As a lot of people say on here there is a lot going on underneath the skin you have had a major organ removed and you body has go to get used to being without it. Take things easy listen to your body, when I had mine removed last June I would say it took me about a month to be able to move around without any

Bev F :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.