losing weight and keeping fit with Tietze

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there - first of all i dont know where i would be without you all xx i have recently been diagnosed with Tietze and my brother and Mum were also diagnosed years ago but unknown to me!

anyway how can i lose weight and exercise when it sets of a flare up every time - all advice received - i need to lose 2 stone!

thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Nothing strenuous, no lifting weights, no vigorous stretching, basically all exercise that forces you to move or put pressure around or onto your chest is a big no. While we can give you advice, everyone is unique in their own pain threshold and then knowing where you stand in your own diagnosis- what can you normally do with ease etc.

If you're looking to lose weight, it may not just be exercise (for which I recommend long, light walks aswell as monitoring your food intake.

I've found Yoga to be difficult as the angle can and will aggravate my chest, but I know in other people this has been fine.

• Posted

Go swimming.

There is less gravity in the water and less pressure on the ribs and cartilage

I was able to get very tone with much less pain than normal workouts. good luck

• Posted

hi there have just been diagnosed and i thought oh dear two weeks of this now im thinkin oh god it sounds like longer!!! i have suffered before with this but at the time didnt realise and assumed it was linked to asthma at time, it wasnt this bad last time tho!!! what can i do to help it??? i need any help u can give me xx
  • Posted

After a session of Physio (where my thoracic region was found to be very stiff), it was suggested that I try to exercise as much as possible, but not to be strenuous.

First, I used some of the "training" games that you get with xbox kinect, but found these to too painful afterwards.

So I got wii fit, and for a good few months, this was great and over a 10 month period I was able to get down from 15 stone 2 to 12 and a half. Theres nothing too strenuous in there, as I found that if I was "heaving" too much, It'd cause a problem in the chest area.

The "jogging on the spot" element was the big weight loss part, but eventually it took its toll - too much bouncing about. So now I've got an exercise cycle. It allows me to get quite good workout, but, more importantly only my legs move, therefore my upper body doesn't, and this is good - for me at least.

I was told swimming was not a good idea, but to be honest when I get the chance I do - the water is supporting and even if I get some pain afterwards, I just live with it.

I found the yoga aspects of wii fit ok, especially the half moon - as long as you stretch in the right way!

So that's what works for me, maybe not for you. I did believe that losing the weight was going to be the answer, but don't expect that. Doing the exercise though does help make you feel good in yourself.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi all,

I have been sufferning from pretty much all symptoms mentioned, I went to the Doctor and was diagnosed with high blood pressure and with the chest pains i was sent for tests at the hospital.  All came back clear for Heart problems however i said the symptoms were consistant with Tietze syndrome, He also said this could last day's, weeks or months! and to rest up along with pain killers.  So obviously i was surprised to read that many people are suffering for several years.  I had thought that i was on the mend, then after decorating a room im in agony this past week, granted im over weight by 4 stone and a smoker so i worry about lung problems, heart attacks and so on, I'm trying to stop smoking, and loose weight but sometimes with the pain im not fit for a walk, i have a 2 and half year old daughter and another child on the way in the coming weeks so i need to be back on my game and fit to do things, im only 38 and this is not how i thought things would be at 38.  Has anybody any suggestions to relieve that pain or has anybody lost weight or stopped smoking that made a signifant difference to pain relieve. I feel the symptoms are worse in the morning and tend to dull towards the evening.  any advise would be appreciated.

regards

Aidan

• Posted

I had the symptoms and lost 3 stone from 15 1/2 st to 12 1/2, hoping that would be the miracle cure. It wasn't. Bizarrely, and as long as I don't use the upper body too much, I find mild exercise is really quite relieving. It seems counter intuitive as everything hurts, why would you want to get on an exercise bike, right? But I guess it just stimulates things enough...

Still, only a stone to go to my ideal weight!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.