Losing weight gained from taking methimazole for hyperthyroidism.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I seriously don't know what to do at this point. I've always been on the heavier side since I was little so when I was rapidly dropping weight before being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I was extremely happy. But after taking methimazole and gaining back the 50 pounds lost back, I feel so insecure and frustrated. I've tried working out for hours, dieting, fasting, and yet nothing seems to work for me. So now I'm a whooping 172 pounds and I don't know what to do with myself. I want to lose weight so bad and be skinny but what can I do at this point?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you talked to you Endocrinologist, or your doctor? If not,I suggest you do so. They may be able to change your medication. Wishing you well.

• Posted

Have you talked to you Endocrinologist, or your doctor? If not,I suggest you do so. They may be able to change your medication. Wishing you well.

• Posted

Endocrinologist will not be interested. If you are in the UK why don't you join Weight Watchers or some other weight loss group. I have some friends who have lost a lot of weight. They are really happy and feel that their problems are shared when they go to the weekly meetings. Good luck and dont give up.

• Posted

I understand your frustrations completely. My doctor has suggested Lose It App or My Fitness Pal App, I also did belong to weight watchers. Unfortunately for me none of the above have worked. I lost 25 lbs when my hyperthyrodism returned gained 15 lbs back and now all I do is lose 3 lbs to gain it right back, I have be go up and down for the past 3 months. Have you discussed with your doctor everyone is so different and maybe one of the free apps I mentioned will help you. Good Luck

• Posted

My issue is opposite of your condition, i was diagnosed with over active thyroid in february and i have been taken carbimazole 40mg and propanolol 40mg since then but i have not put on weight even from 65kg i lost 3kg, what you need to do is to drink a lot of fruits like a little lemon inside a glass of water every day and see your weight drop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.