Losing Weight Unintentionally

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with multiple neurological disorders which include lacunar & ischemic thrombosis strokes, white matter disease, complex & simple partial seizure disorders, type 2 diabetes, coronary artery disease, multiple heart attacks, approximately 12 stents, peripheral Neuropathy in both feet and hands, I deal with dizziness, balance issues and headaches every day, memory loss and now no appetite which has resulted in unintentional weight loss. I see my doctor every 2 weeks because he closely monitors Dilaudid, the pain medication I'm taking. Over the last 6 months I've gradually lost weight & my appetite. But that has accelerated over the last 3 months to the point where I will go without eating anything for days, up to 7 - 10 days at a time. I've lost 40 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I have no pains in my stomach or anywhere else except about 5 months ago I began experiencing pain in the right side of my breast area that just wouldn't go away & it was there for weeks but just as fast as it came on it left. I've been on the same medication for a long time. I don't have episodes of nausea that come & go but is very rare. I don't ever get nauseous due to the dizziness or balance issues I experience. My doctor wants to start off by doing some blood tests and go from there. I think about eating but I just don't have any appetite to eat. My wife said if this keeps up and I continue to loose weight she's sticking me in the hospital so they can force me to eat. Instead of any compassion, especially what I've already been diagnosed with and gone through, she made me feel like it was my fault, like there was something I was doing wrong. Any suggestions please??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jon8181...

As you said you are diagnosed with many problems and already on medication. If you still find it difficult to recover, you must try some other ways and ask your wife to cooperate and care. There different way out for this:

Change your eating habit:

Extend your caloric intake: there are many gadgets, application and medical test available to know your daily calories consumption. Take calorie enrich food; seeds and nuts, avocado, dried fruit, fishes, whole grains, milk etc. Eat protein rich food: protein is a very important nutrient, it provide more calories to muscles. Have almonds, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt and broccoli etc. Take probiotics if needed. increase your fluid intake.

Don't smoke and drink, Get quality sleep, Try weight gainer shakes, protein drinks, eat fresh and heft vegetables, Don't drink water before meals.

Exercise: try mild muscle exercises, aerobic, Build your muscles with strength training, try yoga, meditation.

other: try to be happy, spend time with your wife, express your feeling freely, don't keep your thoughts or views within yourself, enjoy. These are few thing which I adopted for weight gain and it really worked. Weight gaining is a slow process if you are at extreme stage but all you need is to keep calm and wait for positive results.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Rianna, thank you very much for all your recommendations. To be quite honest and transparent. I don't know if there is something going on medically with me or emotionally like depression. One of my Neurological disorders is White Brain Matter Disease and I exhibit a lot of the symptoms such as mood swings and depression. It's doesn't help when you live in a home that our sons wife has made it extremely clear she doesn't want me here. She accepts my wife because she does 80% of the housework, help with our 5 and 6 year old grandsons. I'm extremely close with the older grandson and the younger grandson, my wife and I believe has an extreme case of autism. Because he's special needs our sons wife has spoiled him. Everything is about Shane, 90% of her time is playing with Shane or playing video games, where Anthony is completely left out. Shane can't talk so all he does is screams all day long. There are 2 rules in the house, 1 rule that Anthony better follow or else and zero rules for Shane. Our son travels out of town for his job and when he's home his wife, who's 10 years younger acts totally different. My wife had enough and began telling our son the filthy names she calls Anthony, that the hugs and kisses Anthony gets while he's home is only for show, that doesn't happen when he's gone. So because of all that Anthony and I became extremely close which she was very jealous of. Due to my Neurological conditions there are times I'm not fully aware of what's going on. About 4 months ago Anthony and I were out in front on the grass and he began using swear words, I knew he was doing it but I didn't know what to do, sometimes my brain reacts that way. Well his mom heard him and because I didn't stop him since then I'm not allowed to spend any time with him, which devastated me. My wife believes she's used that incident as a weapon because I didn't have the same relationship with Shane that I didn't with Anthony. Our son didn't see it as any big deal. Later on she accused me to my wife of teaching those words to Anthony and my wife said, Jon has never used those words but you, our son, your mother and her boyfriend use those words constantly. And my wife also said your mom's boyfriend who's a registered sex offender for life for molesting a 14 year old girl and spent time in prison for it, you have no problem with Anthony being around him, but my husband who has tons of neurological disorders, blackouts, at times doesn't know where he's at has done nothing but loved our grandsons, the 2 years your mother and boyfriend lived in the apartment above us never once, even for their birthdays ever came downstairs to spend time with those boys and you now have taken that away from my husband and accusing him of teaching Anthony those filthy words. So I don't know if that's my problem or something else. My not having any appetite started long before that happened. All the foods you mentioned sound good, I just don't have any appetite to eat anything. I might eat a bowl of soup or half a sandwich the entire week and I have to force that down. I don't drink lots of water. My wife and I have been waiting 2 years to have a judge assigned to my case for disability benefits. I was finally notified that my court date is October 31st. We want 3 things. 1) to finally be approved for disability benefits. 2) I'm found 100% disabled and 3) to be paid all my back payments from May 2011. If all that happens my wife and I will have the financial resources to move into our own home, which we desperately need some bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.