Losing weight with borderline hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

A couple of weeks ago, after blood tests, my GP told me that my TSH level was 7 (it was 4 12 months previous). I've been feeling rotten for as long as I can remember. Extremely fatigued,muscle and joint aches, hair very dry and brittle which comes out in clumps constipation too,, just generally awful. The worst thing though is the weight and no matter how o try I can't get rid. I go on holiday in just over 3 weeks and will feel so ashamed to show my stomach 😔

As I'm borderline, my GP said I would need to wait until September to have more blood and antibody tests before I can start any treatment.

Does anyone have any tips for losing the weight?  Also do you have to wait 12 weeks before having more blood tests to be diagnosed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Lou x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lou! With a TSH levelof 7 I'm not surprised you feel ill. The "norm" range used for detecting whether your thyroid is abnormal or not is 0.3 - 3.0, making you right out of the "Ok" range, and for some time too! Your symptoms are typical of a hypothyroid state and you should, by medical guide-lines, be on thyroxine meds. It is very near impossible to lose weight when you are showing TSH results out of range. It sounds like your GP is using the level of 10 or over for making diagnosis of hypothyroidism, this is now outdated. Can you change your doctor or request you see an endocrinlolgist for a second opinion? This doesn't sound right to me Lou. Best wishes... Jen
    • Posted

I had been feeling extremely tired and having light headed episodes when my optician picked up pressure on optic nerve and sent me to GP in Dec 2013. Blood tests showed TSH of 8,5 and I was told a blood test 3 months later would confirm level of thyroxine required. Told needed to be on 100mg and worked up to this level over 3 mths. 

Still having problems with eye, discovered the joy of constipation! Still get tired, skin still not good with Rosacea which they diagnosed 8 years ago and was now apparently an indicator.  

Fed up with saying feel rubbish if people ask but similarly if you say you feel 'ok' then people expect you to be full of beans. 

Just awaiting referral to neurologist and endocrinologist 

Hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

Hi Diane, Sorry to hear you are not feeling good.  It is true that it can take some time for all symptoms to go so hang on in there. Have you had a blood test since you have been on 100mg?  I was diagnosed well over 20 years ago.  Incidentally I too suffer from rosacea from my early 20's mild then but got worse around menopause.  It almost completely cleared up once I was in my mid 50's so much have been hormone related.  It does not really trouble me now.  I was not aware that rosacea was an indicator for hypothyroidism.  My mum had low thyroid my son is diabetic and my aunt had rheumatoid arthritis which are all in the same group of diseases, which is why my gp tested me when I complained of feeling very tired and aches and pains.  Do let us know how you get on with your referrals.  All the best to you.
  • Posted

I am not surprised you feel so bad with a TSH of 7.  Jennifer is right new range is

0.3 to 3.0.  It never ceases to amaze me how little some but not all gps know about hypothyroidsim and it's symptoms.  Either see another gp at your surgery or change completely.  I was diagnosed years ago with a level of around 5 and the ranges have come down since then.  You have to insist with some doctors don't let them fob you off.  I wish you luck let us all know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.