Loss of appetite

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello,

I've been taking Citalopram for five days, the first day I took one I seemed to be unusually hungry, but from the second day onwards I haven't had any appetite at all and it seems a struggle to eat. I don't seem to have had any other side affects, I felt sick and groggy for about four hours after taking the first tablet but that quickly passed. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how long it took to pass?

Also I missed the usual time I take my tablet, I slept in (by about 4 hours) and woke up feeling like I did before I started taking them, and my mood didn't really seem to improve all day, I thought it was odd as I read that Citalopram works in your system for a couple of days. Has anyone found it important to take it at exactly the same time every day?

Thank you! smile

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I've been on 20mg citalopram for 26 days now and had terrible side effects. Anxiety went through the roof in first week, can't eat, constant nausea and diarrhoea. The diarrhoea stopped after a week or so, but still feel nauseous and can only manage protein shakes.

Nearly 4 weeks in and I still wake with anxiety, shakes and wretching. Do sometimes get some relief late afternoon and I think the nausea is my anxiety rather than the cit now.

• Posted

I'm so sorry for you. I'm wondering if my waking up early & eating issues are from anxiety more now than med. So hard to know. Not eating gets my anxiety going worse too, so vicious cycle.

Have you checked back with doc if need higher dose or try something else?

I'm trying hard to wait out 1 more week, but man it's hard. Mornings are worst. Actually had a good evening yesterday, but those are inconsistent. Then slammed again in morn. It's exhausting.

Good luck to you & hope things get better soon.

• Posted

Yes I think we all agree that mornings are the pits regarding anxiety. From what I gather it doesn't seem related to what time of day you take the citalopram. It's difficult to know whether this early morning problem is the citalopram the anxiety. It's no wonder some people can't stand it and give up. It's like an endurance test and the thoughts of a dose increase is horrendous !! What does everyone else think is it really worth it?

• Posted

I feel your pain. I've been on citalopram for about 3 weeks now, 20mg, and 2 weeks in I've started feeling just terrible. All the side effects, sweats, insomnia, NO appetite and worsening depression/anxiety, going on a week of feeling this. I finally called my doc yesterday and she said it sounds like I started on too high of a dose and told me to lower it to 10mg and give it a little more time. I'm just so scared that I will always feel like this, I've been on citalopram in the past and never reacted like this, which scares me that it's just me and not the meds.... Please tell me I'm not alone here and it will get better! Has anyone else been told they started too high of a dose? Or worsening depression?

• Posted

hi i been on it 1 wk today. .no appetite what so ever. it does say thats one of the side effects. i new to this med i was having lots of anxiety so i was put on this. i was on lexapro. omg i never been so sick in my life.i was so sick Couldn't go to work for 3 days because it has so much What's so nauseated Let's not even talk stomach pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.