Loss of appetite

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive had lots of aches and pains. My occupational therapist sent me for blood tests and i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Im taking levothyroxine and i have loss of appetite and no interest of even making myself something to eat. Ive been shopping and got myself my favourite foods but either end up throwing it away or freezing it hoping ill feel like it one day. Has anyone else had a loss of appetite whilst taking this medication

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

With me i eat alot and i gain weight tremendously i do'nt know what to do to reduce weight

• Posted

Sounds like me when I was hyPERthyroid. Could you be on too high a dose of levothyroxine? This can make you hypper and some people stop wanting to eat when they are hyper.
    • Posted

Im on 25 mg the lowest prescribed. Dr said the dose might increase after next blood test
  • Posted

This medication caused stomach problems as well as many other side effects for me.

Could it be that your lack of appetite is due to upset stomach?

I ended up taking this medication with some fruit to ease the stomach symptoms somewhat.

However, the overall side effects outweighed any possible benefit, and I eventually went to a different medication.

• Posted

No i haven't got an upset stomach i just have no appetite. All i ate yesterday was a sandwich at lunch time and had to force myself to eat all of it. Its really strange. Ive only been on the medication for 2 weeks. I will tell doctor at my next blood test

• Posted

Hi kim, I was recently diagnosed with hashimoto. I have been on the lowest dose of levothyroxine for 3 months. I am almost

never hungry and I have to force myself to eat. I do tend to find it easier to eat in a social setting. If it's just me by myself I can't

even be bothered to make any thing to eat. I'm not sure if this is a normal side effect of the meds. I was just trying to find out

more info about this when I came upon this website.

• Posted

Thats exactly how i am. If out for dinner i will eat or if ive got family round but if im on my own i often go to bed realizing ive not eaten
    • Posted

I will keep researching and let you know if I come across any

useful info. There is so much information online, it's a little

overwhelming!

• Posted

Thankyou i will let you know if i find anything out.my stomach churns and rumbles but i dont f Blood tests are due the first week in november i will ask the doctor if its med related
    • Posted

I've just started the levothyroxine I'm on 25mg and I have no appetite at all .. did you get your appetite back? And how long before you got it back? I also have foods I like and do t care for them.. uugghhhh it's a struggle to force myself to eat.. and I'm loosing weight.

• Posted

I noticed with this medication that my tastebuds went numb. I'd buy really good quality fresh foods and everything tasted really bland. It wasn't until I stopped taking this medication that I started to get my taste back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.