Loss of appetite

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hubby has been diagnosed with hiatus hernia and Barretts 2 weeks ago after an endoscopy and we are waiting for biopsy results at the moment. His appetite is non existent and all he managed yesterday was a yoghurt and half a bowl of soup, When I mentioned his poor appetite to the practice nurse she just told me to give him small meals several times a day!!! I can give him all the meals I want, but I can't (and dont want to) try to force him to eat them. 

I feel that we are just being left to fend for ourselves waiting weeks for the biopsy results. He feels so sick, weak and poorly and has barely got out of bed in days sad Just needed to let off some steam before I go to the Drs and politely demand some attention for him

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Hubby does not sound so well  there may be something else making him not hungry and if you have any pain or discomfort in this area it does put you off food. I have barrets hiatus hernia gall stones and a gastric diverticulum haven’t a clue what the latter does lol but you must keep pushing for more tests as he will rapidly lose weight I feel full and can’t face big meals ie prefer to graze and my hubby and daughter can’t understand why I don’t really have an appatite It is not too usual that you would only be able to eat yoghurts He May have a narrow osophagus and need it stretched but this should show on endoscope I hope he gets on ok and manages to start eating as you will be worried ...
  • Posted

My heart aches for both you Please know my thoughts are with you I as well have Barretts with a hiatus hernia I'e had it for years Sadly I let my symptoms go and ate piles of tums everyday One year ago I found out about the Barretts Unforseen circumstances kept me from the surgery I need to correct hernia and Barretts My daughter was found to have cancer so I must wait till she is ok At this point like our husband I have no appetite My stomach is so tender when I eat anything and it;s affected my breathing I too have become so ill I cant do much but lay around I understand where husbands at It And it must be devastating watching the one you love suffer My thoughts will be with the two of you Let me know 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.