Loss of appetite Stage 4 CKD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Dad's been at stage 4 for 2 or 3 years now GFR 24ish at last check up nearly 5 months ago. I would say in the last month his appetite has fallen considerably. He eats enough but no where near his usual and he had dropped a couple of trouser waist sizes. This may coincide with being put on the diuretics recently by GP.

Question is for anyone with experience of CKD- would this loss of appetite indicate the approach of stage 5 (End Stage CKD/kidney failure)?Henrietta

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Loss of appetite is a common symptom in Stage 4. I am still in Stage 3a but I know that that may come to me one day. The best is to talk to a renal dietitician, and encourage him to eat in spite of low appetite, minimizing protein, phosphorus, potassium and salt. What is his age?
    • Posted

Hi Emporor

Thanks for replying. Dad is 88 and is still eating 3 meals a day but they all take a very long time and he is not getting through the quantity he used to have. I think a renal appointment will come through soon- it seems a few months since he last had one. GP seemed happy with him last week.

• Posted

Hi,

I would get this checked out to see if there is another cause as I am stage 5 with a GFR of 11% and my appitite is fine, I didn't experience loss of appitite at stage 4 either, just because its a possible side effect of the illness doesn't mean you will have the sympton.  I don't have swollen legs etc either due to an excellent functioning liver apparently.  Loss of appitite could be down to so many other things so I would ask his GP or renal clinic.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Helen , Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you continue being free of these symptoms. As reply above- I will ask at next renal appointment due soon. No one has mentioned Dad's liver but he has had major stomach surgery in the past so it is really surprising his appetite has been so good up to now.

• Posted

Hello Carol

My mother has stage 5 and over a period of a few years her appetite has dropped. She now tends to eat what is sufficient for her.

I think loss of appetite varies from person.

• Posted

Thanks Tricia. How long has your mum been at stage 5? I know it's a sliding scale in stages 4 and 5 so symptoms overlap but I am trying to guage where Dad might be.
  • Posted

My husband is stage 4 CKD with Efr of 15. he is experiencing loss of appetite and now nausea. He has no interest in food which is worrying. I have mentioned it to the doctor but he did not seem concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.