Loss of Appetite with peri?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone experienced loss of appetite with perimenopause? I know the norm is usually increased appetite. For the past 2 weeks I haven't been having an appetite. I don't know if it could be the gastritis or the peri. I started Biodentical progesterone, I've been on it for a week now. But haven't been having a good experience so far. It's like my appetite has decreased even more.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yup I had a loss of appetite. When i first started in peri last year I would eat nothing at all then I would force myself to just try and eat something small and usually a form of protein. I started drinking ensure or boost in the am before work just so that I knew I had something. I went a while like this. Then last week i total my acupuncturist about it and he put needles in a certain spot and also told me it's related to digestive issues. Well I got my appetite back and it's been 10 days and I eat and crave food which I haven't in a long time. I don't over eat though. Which is good.

• Posted

Yes!!!!  I have to force myself to eat most of the time. I'm a runner so my nutrition is really important. No fuel=no energy for running which is really messing with my mojo. Of course, I am horribly nauseous every morning so there is that. 

• Posted

Yes, I find my appetite comes and goes. I can be ravenous for a week or so and then have no appetite for a week, not much fun trying to eat when you don't feel like though.

• Posted

Hi Mary. I had crazy food cravings in the beginning of perimeno. gained 15lbs. just couldnt stop eating. Now about a year later the same is happening to me. No appetite at all. Finding myself forcing myself to eat because of weakness. I am also on progesterone but my appetite loss started months after i was on it. I chalk it up to perimeno. These symptoms seem to come in waves then dissapear.lost the 15lbs i gained tho. The body really seems to be self adjusting.
    • Posted

Do you think that progesterone can also be contributing to it? Progesterone is the dominant hormone in the beginning of pregnancy and you lose appetite and naseau too. For me, it tends to have worsen when I started the progesterone.

So im just wondering..🤔

• Edited

Dear Mary

I had gastitis in peri and completely lost my appetite and lost quite abit of weight! This went on for some months and then my weight went up! X

• Posted

I am so glad that it's not just me..so do you think it's really from.the gastritis and not peri but a combination? I lost appetite in the beginning of gastritis and peri. During the period of March- April

I lost about 8 pds. Then i started eating again then symptons of gastritis flared again in May until now. I lost another 11pds. How long exactly did you have to deal with this? You say months?

• Posted

I think it was the gastitis that made me looae my appetite, it muat have been four plus months or more before it totally cleared x
  • Edited

Yep. In the beginning my appetite was good. Now I have to force myself to eat three balanced meals a day. On the weekends I usually only eat once or twice a day. Also food doesn't taste as good. It's like my tastebuds have changed. I'm kind of a foodie so I hope this passes soon.

• Posted

Hi Mary, i'v been on BHRT for 6 months and switched to progesterone only 3 weeks ago. My appetite comes and goes and I'v had a tiny bit of nausea. Just enough to be annoying. Apart from that the progesterone only is really agreeing with me.

• Posted

Hi Azzumi

Update on progesterone: My doctor will be calling me in the morning to discuss these side effects. In addition to the naseau and lack of appetite, I am not sleeping. I thought it should make me sleep better? If I wake up during the night, I am up the rest of the night. He is thinking of giving me the troche.

Are you doing the cream or pill?

I am doing the pill 100mg.

Hopefully we will find what works for me.

• Posted

I know how you feel, some days i just didnt eat. My friend helped me out, she bought me a small plate ! Sounds so silly but my god it works, i have my lunch and dinner on it, i think its my brain telling me, its only a little plate and you can eat this. Try it, it really does work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.