Loss of libido and sensation after birth control

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

Am going to go to the doctors but I just wanted to check here first to see if anyone had anything similar or know what might be going on.

I got into a relationship with my boyfriend just under a year ago, and after the first month we decided that I was going to go on the pill. I took a pill called loestrin, and within the first week I lost interest in my boyfriend and sex. As soon as I noticed these symptoms I stopped taking it. I felt almost normal again after a bit, but the initial desire for sex and my boyfriend that I had pre-pill didn't return.

I was hopeful that after a few months it would get better, and it did for a bit - I had an average libido and I had more sensation but it seems to have dropped again.

My symptoms are:

- loss of libido

- loss of sensation in vagina and vulva

- irritability

- I do feel depression, but I'm not sure if it's major, as I have a job I am bored of and have to commute for. And I do feel a little lost in life as I graduated just under a year ago.

- I do feel tired but I'm not sure if I sleep well enough, I get an average of 7 hours probably

What confuses me is that I am attracted to my boyfriend, and I like the idea of sex with him. But when it comes to having sex, I feel like I can't be bothered and I end up putting myself off. I wonder if it's the loss of sensation that's putting me off sex.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's sad that you have to deal with this obvious undesirable side effect of the medication that you are on. Though I am a man, I have never had to deal with loss of libido. However, I can imagine how frustrating it could be, not just for you but your boyfriend as well. I have a question for you tho. Has he complained about the change in your sex drive?

I want you to understand the need to let your doctor know about that medication, how long you've been on it, and the frequency (dose). I hope this issue is resolved for you in no time. Good luck! 

• Posted

It is very frustrating for both of us!

I stopped the medication as soon as I noticed the symptoms, so about 10 months ago!

• Posted

it was the birth control pill
    • Posted

It is discouraging when a particular medication has a long list of side effects and stringent conditions attached to taking it. Unfortunately, this loestrin birth control has a seemingly inexhaustible list of side effects of which reduced sex drive is one. What puzzles me though is why this one side effect has persisted this long, especially after you discontinued your use of it as soon as you noticed this side effect happening.

With this many possible side effects, I'd easily be discouraged from taking it. What you should note is that there is a possibility that the persistence of this side effect comes with psychology. Are you sure you're not thinking too much about it? You obviously are and, therefore, it might be fueled by your mind.

Try your possible best to discover ways to improve your sex drive. Get creative and try not to dwell on the problem. Try not to think about it while you're having sex. Concentrate on other things, especially on the benefits of sex. I'd suggest you avoid using contraceptive pills all together and use a condom instead.

• Posted

Instead of going for medicine and doctor, I would suggest yoga! You might think, “Does Yoga Really Help in Sexual Wellness”? Yes, it can improve a person’s flexibility, self-esteem, awareness of self, and energy levels. It may come as a surprise to you, but yoga improves a person’s libido too. If you want to read know more about yoga for sexual wellness, you can find good articles on this topic on numerous platforms like webmd, zovon, healthline, health and so on. Yoga has resolve this particular issue in my life and I believe, it is an essential part of our life and we should realize its importance.
  • Posted

I like what Roy said about yoga. I think something like that could definitely help with the situation, give you something else to focus on and another social component that I'm sure would be helpful considering being bored with your job and such. I would suggest also a natural supplement like Protandim in conjunction with the yoga would really help yield positive results by lowering your oxiditative stress levels. There is really good information out there about it, if you're interested let me know and I can point you towards some websites and studies.

• Posted

Thanks guys, my boyfriend and I both said we wanted to try yoga so maybe we should do it sooner than later!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.