Loss of Memory and Items

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

First post, i'm relatively young (under 30) but for the last 3 years I have a huge problem when I drink and its really ruining my life. I will be out having a good time then all of a sudden i'm waking up in my bed the next day with no phone, bank card, ID etc.

Obviously I am drinking too much, but I hate how it 'just happens' as in I have no warning, I know freinds who drink they get a little sick and stop, or they start feeling different or even when they are totally drunk they still get home OK, but I go from being happy to straight up black out literally one beer later.

Has anyone has this problem and what did you do to solve it? I dont drink ofte but I admit I cannot handle my ale and when I've had a few I dont stop until i've lost everything (including dignity)

Thanks for help

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Younger people that haven't built up alcohol tolerance, sometimes binge brink which overloads their body and causes them to blackout.

Drink slower.

• Posted

hi Gary and welcome. In over 30 years of heavy drinking I never woke up without my debit or credit cards. HOw much have you lost so far I am wondering. Certainly, I have woken up without any memories of what I did and that is bad. How about one of your friends who drinks less and perhaps confide or chat?? Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin,

I think you are right I need to be more open about it with friends, and let them know its bothering me.

I've been thinking and it could derive from a confidence issue/anxiety background I have, where I used to look forward to drinking a lot because I knew I wouldn't have anxiety. But thats all well the past now so I will take the advice and drink slower.

I always lose items but I am very careless with them too, I tend to lose things generally, it worries me a little bit because I always think have I done damage somewhere that makes me so forgetful.

Its frustrating because I hadn't done it in a few months which is good for me (tells a story itself) but it happened the other night and now I just feel like i've let myself down and I dont have control again.

I dont want to stop drinking because I know it can be fun but I admit I dont know my limits, I need to learn to not want to get drunk and rather stay sober, trying to figure it all out but the other night I just and still do feel very let down by the whole thing.

• Posted

Gary when you go out for a drink just take some cash with you and leave your cards and valuables at home.
  • Posted

Hi Gary.

I'm a huge drinker and I know when I drink with friends (rarely) they have a real problem keeping up with me and get battered while I'm just warming up.set your own pace and don't involved in rounds.

• Posted

Thanks Guys,

Excellent advice I will do all of it, I think because it had been a few months I let myself down but in future every single time I will drink slow, take much less cash (that helps regardless) and not get involved in rounds but buy my own drinks. I also think its partly downt to confidence because I know I will have a better time if I only have a few drinks, so need to work on that. Next time I go out I will post here and keep posting.

• Posted

you are much more in control now that you were even 5 days ago and certainly on the right track. You can do it!! Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin,

Thanks, will keep an update going, been OK for now so thats good although no real tests yet. Actually looking forward to the next test, we can all do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.