Loss of smell and withdrawal from Gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Gabapentin 2700 mg for 6 months for PHN in the L5 nerve root with terrible pain in my right foot. I use Aspercreme 3 times a day. I now have lost my sense of smell and my brain and memory are affected and I would like to try to taper the Gabapentin. Has anyone done this and how?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I started to taper off 3600mg. It took a very long time. This is a very bad medication. I suffered from almost all common side effects!  Rare and common it  destroyed Me! You really don’t want to stop at once. It’s recommend 10% every month or so!  The higher mg you take the more side effects!  Good luck!
  • Posted

I was going blind on Gabapentin. Have been off it 4 mnths now. My eyesight is still affected, but not as bad as it was.

I withdrew slowly. Only way to good.

• Posted

How long were you on it and for how long..

I'm glad you realized

• Posted

I was on 200 mg for 14 mnths. It's a terrible drug. Causes all sorts of problems in the brain. Your thinking becomes distorted. Am so glad to be off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.