Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, any on out there lost thier taste due to menapause? Also are

you getting any other mouth problems?

All replies greatly recieved.

All the best to you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't say I actually had loss of taste, but I did find that the taste of a lot of things seemed to change. Some foods that I'd enjoyed before started tasting unpleasant after the menopause, and this hasn't changed in the intervening 27 years.

My sense of smell also seemed to change, but much more dramatically. When travelling on public transport I started getting nauseated by the more musky type of perfume worn by some women. Sometimes it got so bad I'd have to get out to get some fresh air. Fortunately this didn't last too long. I still don't like that type of perfume but I notice it much less now.

It might be a good idea to get a general health check if you haven't already. This is always advisable around the time of the menopause. However, if you don't have any neurological symptoms I'd say this is probably something you're going to have to learn to live with. The menopause changes us all irreversibly but there are some compensations as well.

• Posted

I would definately go to the dentist if you haven't been lately. it's worth a check. Our body's are changing so much during menapause that there's no telling what hormones are doing to the body including the mouth. There is a disease called burning mouth sydrome that does change the taste of food but I'm sure you don't have that because you would have definately mentioned the burning of your mouth and tongue. I have that and believe me it hurts bad.lol

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I have had the burning mouth syndrome and to a certain extent I do have it again but when I first had it ,I was beside myself as my younger was so bad to the point that it had little popping blood vessels on it, I cried to the doctor but no-one could help. I had to get though it on my own and it was a nightmare. However I never lost my taste so this although it may have a link is something different.

Ki d regards

• Posted

*tongue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.