Loss of weight and fatigue after tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am now at 9 weeks after tkr, and have posted before how I have this debilitating fatigue, now I find I've lost 3 kgs. It may sound good to lose weight, but was not overweight to start with. Had blood tests for anaemia, all ok. The only thing different is I got an exercise bike, and do approx 4kms throughout the day, plus the other exercises. Anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in the xtreme fatigue stage, 2-1/2 wks out. Rolling with it. Watching the wind blow the trees, not too much color here in Orange County NY.

• Posted

Hi Roberta, well here in Australia we are coming out of winter, but spring is taking its time. Wanting to get out and walk. I am at 9 weeks now and still have fatigue but I think it's my brain, got to get in in the right space. 2-1/2 weeks is very early in your recovery. Don't do as I have done and judge your recovery on someone else's, we are all different.

• Posted

I am 11 weeks TKR and have only just stated to overcome the debilitating fatigue. There's not much I could do but to roll with it and allow my body time to heal.

I also had weightloss, which has now stabalised. I have lost 8 kg, and was also not overweight to start. It hasn't helped that my husband and boys feel me I look gaunt and sick! I have found the weightloss to be very frustrating because my bones are sticking out, making sitting etc painful. I've now purchased a foam ring which I use. Just yesterday I spoke to a work colleague whose husband had bilateral TKR, and went from overweight to skinny., but she did say that when he was fully recovered, and his lifestyle returned, he regained all the a weight!

My PT has suggested I try a meal replacement like Ensure because I just don't have the energy or desire to eat.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Colleen, I'm sorry for you and understand completely. I only lost 3 kgs. Perhaps it is normal for us to be feeling like this. Anxiety is my biggest enemy, and this I have to overcome. Good luck to you, and keep us informed of your progress. I am 9 weeks now, and not looking forward to the right knee replacement in December!

• Posted

I lost weight after my TKR too, a similar amount. I read that our body uses over 400 extra calories healing, so that is probably why you're losing weight and fatigued. It soon stabilized and now I'm back to my normal weight if not slightly above, which I think is down to my not being quite as active still and that's down to the back rather than knee

• Posted

Hi Lynda, Wow 400 extra calories! No wonder we lose weight. How is your back?

• Posted

I have scoliosis and it's been a real problem walking since my TKR. I'm hoping it will improve after the next TKR. It's frustrating not being able to walk for more than 30 minutes before having to take a break, but I guess I should be grateful I can do that. Wish me luck!

• Posted

Lynda I feel for you with bad back. I took advice from all and sundry, and yesterday did 30 walk and 10 mins bike plus exercises, and had an awful nights sleep. Every time I moved it hurt.

When is your next tkr? Is it January? I think I told you mine is December and worry that my left knee will still be a problem as it will only be 4 months along. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I know how you feel. I've been pushing my knee a bit more and it's been clunking, clicking and hurting more, but I want to really try to sort out this IT band before the next op if I can because I can foresee the same problem on that side. I haven't an official date yet, but have said January. T hey offered to do mine 4 months apart, but I wasn't ready.

I suppose one advantage is that it's all over sooner and gives the first leg a rest during those first weeks of recovery even if is doing all the work when it needs to. I know of a couple of people who had them done 6 months apart and seem to be pleased with how things are going. They were both scheduled for 4 months, delayed and then found that as they did more the other knee worsened. You can always delay if you don't feel it's the right time. I hope your knee settles down after all the exercising. Maybe give it a rest for a couple of days and just do a gentle 10 minute walk. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lynda, I had never heard of an it band before. Happens to cyclists a lot. There seems to be exercises for that. It doesn't sound pleasant, good luck with it. Yes, I have been thinking of delaying the next knee, but at 70 want to get it over, will make the decision later.

I did my 30 min walk yesterday and alternate softer exercises, and it was a bit less painful after. Cannot do bike x 3 times a day, plus walk and other exercises, it's all too much. Next op all depends on how well the left knee can cope being the main weight bearer, at least I can do the exercises on both legs. I'm doing these exercises now on both legs in the hope that the rt knee will be strong. Everyone tells me to get it strong beforehand, something I never did before. Thanks for your reply, it's really great to have feedback.

• Posted

I'd never heard if the IT band before either. My physio is working on it, but he says it's a very strong structure, rather like a seat belt and it takes a while to stretch it out after it's shortened.

It sounds as if you're finding the right way to cope with your knee. I've come to the conclusion that we just need to listen to our knees, do enough to exercise and keep them moving, but rest them when they need it too. All the best for you and your knees.

• Posted

I'm just over 4 months right post tkr . The sudden and total energy drain really took me by surprise and wad depressing. I'd be feeling sort of normal and then out of the blue I'd be oh gosh, just got to lie down. started reading about it and discovered it takes 3 months or more until you gradually get your energy back. I didn't lose weight, on the contrary i gained a couple of kilo even with exercising. Sitting around a lot for one thing, and my husband kept bringing little treats - the edible sort. I'm sure once your energy levels get back to normal, so will your appetite.

• Posted

I expected to feel the energy drain with respect to the healing process. It depends what you have on your plate...I'm retired, widowed and live alone so I am content with reading, planning daydreaming. Of course I miss my activities but going in my surgeon told me to prepare for a big camping trip...boy was he on target! The folks at Dollar General must have wondered what I needed all those paper products for? But it panned out, those cans of low sodium chicken broth thank God. Saltines to stave off nausea. I gave up the painkillers 2 days ago because they destroyed me. spending 18 hrs in the bathroom trying to have a bowel movement - not fun, although it sure got my knee to bend ready or not. When it gets down to the nitty gritty it forces you to view things differently. That new winter coat I've been thinking about not so big on my wish list. My 52 y/o son was able to come home and be my primary caregiver, what a blessing. I offered to get him a trip to wherever when this ordeal winds down; wouldn't blame him if he went out for milk and kept running. I haven't exactly been a peach crying and moaning scuffling about. I thank God for my blesdings. Yup, I even have a vision for family holiday get together....

• Posted

Roberta, i have to admire you, living alone and coping with all the pain and horrible discomforts. Brave lady. and of course, your wonderful son. It's a long haul, but it dies get better, little by little. keep up the exercises, they're so important. Allow yourself to rest whenever you feel like, don't overdo things. Crying and moaning - we've all done that. Be well and be strong.

• Posted

Hi Jane, Yes the energy drain is very surprising isn't it. Hos is your ROM at 4 months? Mine is only Just 100 deg. at 9 weeks. This has been my problem, thinking that it would be a lot better by now, but have to realize, we are all different I guess.

• Posted

Roberta, the best thing I've found fir constipation is golden linseed in Activia yoghurt. My dietician recommended 2 tablespoons of the seeds in yoghurt twice a day. It soon worked and now I need only 1 tablespoon in 1 yoghurt if I have a oroblem. It might be worth trying.

• Posted

Believe it or not here (in Israel) I've never had my ROM measured so don't really know how to measure it. I don't have problems with knee slides, squats - holdin gon to the railings, leg lits or pelvic lifts. However both my surgeon and physiotherapist are pleased with me on this score and I find I am certainly no worse off than I was before the op; in fact much better. I'm 72 and wasn't a gym/sporty person beforehand, but do my exercises daily. After over three weeks of going up and down stairs like a baby my home physio helped me to go up properly and a week later, also helped me to go down properly. Since then - no looking back. In fact both he and the surgeon said I should go up and down 'for exercise' not just because I need to get or do something. So I do. Before the op, going up to bed, when I was tired and less mobile at the end of the day, the stairs looked like mount Everest and I used the banister to help pull myself up. I probably need to have the left knee done as well, but I am going back to my my regular orthopaedic doctor at my local clinic and see what's going on. At my 5-week visit to the surgeon who operated on my knee, he asked me what about the second knee I said all in due course. There's a lot to be said for a bilateral tkr - one lot of pre-op tests, one lot of meds which play havoc with your body and one lot of the nightmarish pain of those first couple of weeks, not to mention the sudden energy drains and depression.

• Posted

Jane, wish I had stairs! I do step ups but not as many as you, but it seems easy. I'm 70, and am in line for rt knee for on Dec. It seems hard to find a happy medium with exercise, what is too much and what is just right. If I do too much I pay for it. I still suffer from with ibs like symptoms but am taking Ibersartin, and multi vitamin. My mental state is to blame, anxiety is a biggest enemy of your gut.

I wonder how we would have gone with bilateral knees, but as I had a dvt and ruptured Bakers cyst straight after op, I think it would have done me in!!!

• Posted

Jane, I put the wrong name of the product I took for stomach upset, it's Iberagard, not Ibersartin, sorry.

• Posted

thank you. I went from severe constipation to the other extreme after discontinuing pain meds. I think the body is trying to shed all the dead cells in the intestinal track. Drs never take time to talk w/you about these things. the best thing you can do for yourself is read read read, then make informed decisions. Here's a good one...Urgent Care doesn't even have a rudimentary walker just in case. my son brought me in wheel chair for xrays to rule out bowel blockage. unbelievable it took 2 staff members to assist me in bathroom to void and I'm not that large a woman.

• Posted

Pain meds have a lot to answer for. I suffer constipation and terrible nausea with any opiates. My husband had a similar problem to you. We think that he had become so constipated that nothing worked on the blockage but affected all the matter that built up behind it ( sorry if that's too much information) and then he couldn't leave the house for 2 days,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.