Loss of weight worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all please could you help me, i had my camera done 10 weeks ago, was told i have diverticulitis, but Drs no help, or my GP, the help ive had is from you people,thankfully ive not had a flare up ,im eating very bland food, have stuck with this, chicken, fish, mash, and veg, porrige, , sandwich, mostly lunch times,plenty of water, what im worried about ive lost 2stone in that time, admiting before this i was a choclate ,biscuits, cakes,etc, iv given all up. I have 4 normal days then 3days diarrhoea, im very frighten regs to the weight loss, thinking is this something else!! Please advise

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have gone down 3 sizes since January it worried me at first but then I realised I wasn't eating chocolate sweets cakes or drinking coke   I eat from a smaller plate and chew a lot longer   We are what we eat so if we aren't eating a lot then we are going to loose weight. If you are worried speak to your GP   Hope this helps 

• Posted

Try not to worry Maureen I'm the same I've lost loads of weight which l can't really afford to do l have thrown out my scales as l was constantly weighing myself and getting anxious. I only now eat chicken fish and lots of homemade soups, rarely bread no cakes or chocolate, porridge and banana for breakfast. 3 small meals a day instead or larger evening meal. I do crave cakes or Kentucky sometimes but it isn't worth the pain

• Posted

I would do anything for a burger and coke but not worth the upset stomach. I have just had bloods done for anemia. I haven't eaten red meat for a year so I could be anemic 

• Posted

Good luck with bloods Susan I hadn't thought about the consequences of not eating red meat and anaemia!! Perhaps there are other means of adding iron to your diet

• Posted

I also stopped eating sprouts and broccoli so I need to start eating them again. Thankyou for your reply I will post my results when I get them. I hope you have a good Christmas 🎄 

• Posted

Hi Maureen

This might sound strange, but what you are eating now is just a much healthier diet, what most good diet plans would recommend.  By cutting out all the junk food you could expect to lose around 2 pound every week - a bit more at first, particularly if you were several stone overweight.  So 28 pounds in 10 weeks sounds about right!  Also your insides are still recovering from the diverticulitis and side effects of the medication.  It does take weeks, or sometimes even months for your bowels to resume a more regular pattern.  The camera would have shown if there was a problem. 

If you're not in any pain I would suggest you try the odd "treat" and keep a note if it has adverse effects.  There are many posts on here of people who become scared to eat, but slowly learn to introduce more types of food, and start to regain their confidence.  If you need proof, I suggest you note everything you eat and drink, the portion size, then use one of the online calorie counters to work out the daily total.  I'd bet it is way below the 2000 an average woman needs.  When I am on a liquid only/bland food session after a flare, mine averages around 1000 a day, and I did lose 8 pounds in 10 days once.

But if you weren't overweight in the first place then I suggest you return to your GP or nurse practitioner who is a dietary expert.  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you Felinia , im making appoinment to see gp this week i hope, yes i was over weight size 22, im now size 18 , no im not on any mediction, i get very bloated sometimes a pain in my left side but bearable, im so scared , ive no energy, tired all the time, trouble is ive got usless drs, before i had the camera they told me it was ibs, that was in April, hen i saw another gp she was the one to send me for the camera, told me you don,t get ibs at 75 years old,im going to ring hospital again too. Ive never had results only told by surgeon that i had dd, and he removed 6 polyps, So do you think i should still be like this? its ruining my life, this DD, thank you so much and every one else that replied to my post bless you all
    • Posted

I too was a size 22 now I am a 18. I was told I have IBS and DD and I am 70. I think some GPS don't know what they are on about. Luckily I went to see a old GP who sent me for a colonoscopy the young GP told me to come back in 6 months   X

• Posted

Hi Maureen

I think many of us older patients (I'm 67) have come across the GP's who simply don't have the time and knowledge about DD to help older people.  In the UK, unless a complication develops, you are just left to get on with it.  This is where the help and advice from fellow sufferers in the Forum has become a rock for so many. 

Many people have described exactly what you are going through right now - in particular I think you will find susan95516 can empathise totally.  For factual information, the paper Diverticula (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease, Diverticulitis) under Related Information on this page is extremely good.  It's less than 3 months since you had your polyps removed and your insides will still be healing.  I'm afraid it can take months for everything to settle down - it took me almost a year after my last batch of flares - so you will get niggles from time to time.  I also still suffer from bloating and loss of appetite first thing in the morning, until after I've been to the toilet. 

For many though the worst effects are depression and fear which cause the tiredness and desire to stay close to home.  If you are not already doing so, you should keep a food/lifestyle diary to see if any particular foods or activities make things worse.  I can't eat gluten/full fat and I found bending and lifting painful.  Then slowly try and do a few things on your good days - perhaps just a short walk, or ask a friend over.  Things that will build your confidence.  And if you go out, go prepared (spare pants, pad, wet wipes, paracetemol if permitted).  Really it's baby steps.  You will have bad days and setbacks but it does get better.  I recall one member saying she decided she wasn't going to let the disease rule her life and has gradually taken back control.  Now I'm a bit lighter too, and am in charge, I find I actually have more energy after the weight loss.  Best wishes for Christmas but take it steady on the food front.

• Posted

I went to the GP for bloods doing and he asked me how come I knew so much about DD I told him about this forum and how you have helped me   In the beginning I didn't go anywhere not even to the shops now I go out for meals,to the supermarket I even went Christmas shopping. I did make a decision I wasn't going to let it rule my life and with this forums help it doesn't. So thank you all for your support. And I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a DD free new year x

• Posted

Just think, a year ago you were in the same place as Maureen is now - apart from the lemon sorbet!!!  The story of your journey should help her.  I took my own advice and have been trying out little bits of seasonal fare.  I did try a mince pie - which I WON'T repeat - as it had the usual laxative effect.  But I found Stollen Bites were fine - not as rich as Christmas cake but nice and seasonal.  I also managed a small bit of stuffing, but no pigs in blankets.  Off to a Christmas Party tonight at Slimming World, and taking my own seasonal cous-cous in veggie stock, with roasted veggies (mushrooms, skinned peppers, courgettes and onions).  I tried it, it was fine, and good for a buffet party.  Happy New Year.

• Posted

The food sounds great    I had a little bit of stuffing and was fine   But no more mince pies   Have a fantastic time tonight and a very happy new year x
    • Posted

I am going to try one sprout with my dinner tonight I will let you know how I get on x
  • Posted

Hi Maureen, Be sure to keep a food diary.  Try to see what you ate the meal or day before you get diarrhea so that you can get a sense of what exactly is causing your gut to react badly.  I have found that there are certain foods that set me off, but I can still eat things that allow me to keep on the weight.  

For me fried, processed and spicy foods, foods with nuts or seeds are big no nos.  But I can eat desserts that don't have any of those things in them, such as ice cream, cakes as well as cookies (without seeds or nuts).

Everyone is different, so you need to figure out what to avoid and what you can still digest without problems.

• Posted

Hi Maureen

I wanted to share a remarkable discovery I made with beets. I read how beneficial beets are for digestion and inflammation so I boiled some up and ate them and they totally helped the pressure I was feeling in my lower abdomen. Now every time I get that pressure in my lower left side I eat beets. Just thought I would share. Hope it helps you too and anyone else following this discussion. 

• Posted

Sugar beets. They are a root vegetable in a dark red color. They must sell them in the UK. They are very popular in Eastern European diets. In Poland and Russia they make a soup with them or you can eat them as a side dish. Google them on the internet. If you can’t find I can send you a link. 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Beetroot, but in the raw unpickled state and they make Borscht soup with them.  My mum used to buy them from her greengrocer and boil them herself, and my brother grew they and pickled his own.  But a warning before everyone freaks out - they can turn your urine a reddish colour.  When you take the prep before a colonoscopy you are warned not to eat red stuff because of its discolouring effect.

• Posted

THank you for the information. Is a jar of beetroot the same x
    • Posted

Hi Susan

The jar of beetroot usually comes cooked, pickled, with all the acids and spices.  So no - not the same although it is the same vegetable - I think Sharon was referring to the raw vegetable which is just cooked by boiling, but is not spiced or pickled.

• Posted

Hi Felinia

You are correct. You need to only cook the raw beets. The canned or pickled beets have added sugar and spices and are not as effective. Hope it helps our fellow DD sufferers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.