Lost and feeling doomed!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Where to start.......my job was put at risk of redundancy in Oct/Nov last year. At the time I was off sick from work due to depression which I have suffered from for over 20 years. I was given a settlement agreement which I took as I was never going to go back.

My wife gave birth in Dec and had done severe complications with the birth. I am exhausted and now feel anxious and depressed again because I have no income. I have looked for jobs but haven't been lucky enough to land something.

I feel so overwhelmed right now and can't cope as I can't sleep well with my 6 week old crying.

Tried to run away today but turned back as I couldn't leave my son.

Just don't know what to do anymore.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

#HELLO sAM, I'm more or less in the same boat as you. don't really know what to say, but have you seen you GP or asked for some tablets to help you cope???

If you want to, keep in touch by personal message, (pm)....

I'm long retired now, and never thought this would happen to me, so I feel just as helpless as you youngsters......

Sorry to be so vague, but I just wanted you to know that I had read your post, and I must reply,

cheers m8, from Howard in Staffordshire, UK.......

• Posted

I've been on meds before and they don't work. Neither did CBT. I get in to a routine of practicing meditation and then going to the gym but then things fall away.

I will make a doctors app and look to get some more help but don't think it will work.

• Posted

I really felt for you after reading your post. It's hard wrestling with challenging life circumstances and the feelings and emotions that go with it. However the hard truth is only we can control how we choose to react and think. You've managed depression for 20 years and you are still here to tell the tale. You've worked all that time and have a wife and baby, these are all big achievements despite having depression. You are living a productive life. Might sound cliché but believe in yourself, don't listen to that inner voice of doubt and essentially fear. We all need to let go more and have a bit of faith in ourselves. Anxiety and depression bluff us into believing otherwise, even though we still manage despite feeling crap! I've been through quite a lot of stuff myself so I can relate. Please talk to someone, also I'm sure your wife and baby really love you and want you around. Good luck, keep thinking forward. X
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words.

Sometimes I feel like I let myself get in to depression as an easy way of getting out of things I don't want to face. Change and the fear of change seem to send me over the edge even though deep down I know that change is sometimes good too.

• Posted

Change is scary, there is academic evidence that supports that, the change cycle is very similar to the grief cycle. It's ok to be scared or fearful. However try and not have catastrophic thinking. Cbt is a good method to look at things as an observer and break things down to make them manageable. Mindfulness is also something that is really good and I find helpful. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    • Posted

I didnt know that the change cycle is similar to the grief cycle but in my opinion that makes sense.

I have undergone CBT before and not found it overly helpful however, mindfullness and going to the gym have always helped. I think over the past few months I have neglected both due to trying to be so strong for my wife and baby son during a difficult time. I have begun mindfullness again and plan to go to the gym tomorrow for at least 30 mins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.