Lost appetite for a week and nausea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 22 year old female otherwise healthy. For the past week I've completely lost my appetite. I don't want to eat and struggle to finish a plate of food. I've been eating very little for the past week and have also been having nausea for most of the day which seems to be worse after eating. I have no idea what's causing this but it's been a week... it came on really suddenly and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be welcomed, thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bunny, I'm sorry you are feeling rough but my immediate thought is, could you be pregnant?  Your symptoms sound very familiar.

Otherwise, have you asked a Pharmacist or been to your GP?

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, thank you. I'm definitely not pregnant, but no I haven't been to see anyone yet

• Posted

I must inform you I am not a medical expert.

Although, there must be a few questions to ask.

Have you eaten ay undercooked or raw meat? Eating improperly cooked meat increases your risk of contracting a worm. Usually the tape worm and pin worms affect humans. These worms live and incubae inside the intestine area. Also worms can be contracted through contaminated water. Some of the symptoms you disclose such as loss of appetite and nausea are symptoms of worms. Other symptoms include rapid weight loss, fatigue.

Have you experienced diarrhea and abdominal pain. These are also a symptoms of worms.

A serology blood test and stool sample will detect the presence of worms. There is a way to detect worms in the mean time. You can check for small and flat segments in your next bowel movement

Another possible diagnosis my be the fact that you having an allergic reaction to a certain type of food or a you may be experiencing a level of intolerence to a type of food. There are blood tests to detect intolerances and allergies.

Have you been experiecning stomach cramps and the taste of undigested food? (I am not 100% sure of the connection of these symptoms to the appropriate test, i am just vaguely recalling the information from my GP). A Urea Breath test should be considered.The Urea Breath Test is a diagnostic tool used to diagnose a current infection with a type of bacteria that infects the stomach lining. These bacteria have been linked to many conditions and are implicated in the development of duodenal and gastric ulcers and imflamation. This may explain some symptoms. (I'm not 100% on thie correlation between imflamtion of the stomach and symtpoms of stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea). If you find you have this, a course of antibiotics will be prescribed.

It is not uncommon for young people, like you and me (I am 20) to experience these particular symptoms and have a formation or festering of a bacterical infection of the stomach lining, ulcers

Please do not worry. Although, you could many of these symptoms but the symtpoms may be as a result of different kinds of ailments.

For example, a form of depression, insomina and anexity/panic attacks can bring the onset of some of these symptoms, (I'm not 100% sure on this either).

Again, i am not a medical expert. Your disrection is advised. Please make an appointment with your GP.

Regards,

• Posted

Additionally, if you have any abdominal pain, often descibed as a tight knot being pulled in this area please take note of where the pain is. If i can recall correctly, pain in the bottom part of the abdominal area and above the bladder it would possibly indicate there is a parasite located in the intestine. Or, if you have any abdominal pain in the upper part of this particular area around the stomach may indicate a imflamtion of the stomach and a formation of an ulcer, or a bacterial infection of the stomach lining.

• Posted

Hi, thank you. I am tired I think I have lost a bit of weight but I think they're both due to the fact I'm not eating enough. I'm vegan so that rules out having eaten any bad meat but the weird thing is I'm having no abdominal pain at all. It's only nausea and loss of appetite which is why I'm a bit puzzled by it. I don't suffer from znxiety or insomnia or anything - I can't really seem to think of any reason why this would happen or what could be causing it.

• Posted

Hi,

Dehydration could also cause the onset of nausea.

Do you live in the northen hemisphere? I realise its winter there, so it may be easy to drink less water. I live in Australia. So its Summer here. I drink plenty of water. I have shown some symtpoms of nausea after waking. Water usually helps. 

Having plenty of exercise and water would help with fatigue.

I know you have stated that nausea after eating. I do now know why this occurs. You may be eating too fast.

Sorry, i do not know anything else.

• Posted

Hi im going through this exact thing right now. Im a girl im 17 and i go to college so its difficult when girls ask me to go to lunch so have you found anything out about it yet or has your appetite increased? Kind regards
  • Posted

Oh my goodness! This is the second time this has happened to me in the last 2 months! I am also a vegan who is definitely not pregnant who is very healthy and have not changed my eating habits at all. Did you find out anymore information? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.