Lost Balance to the Point that Cannot Walk

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I hope you are well.

I would like to ask a question about one of my family members. He is 43, has asthma and is lactose intolerant.

11 months ago, he felt a strong burst of wind in his ears. Several hours later, he lost balance and suffered from a severe dizziness.

Since then, he is constantly suffering from lack of balance and severe dizziness. At the beginning, he was able to walk slowly, but his condition got worse and worse, and now he is incapable of walking.

He met many doctors, completed several tests such as MRI, but the doctors do not say anything but to focus on physiotherapy.

Does anyone have experience with something similar?

Any help will be much appreciated!

All the best.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The MRI will have ruled out serious issues so physiotherapy is usually the recommended action. Has he had any physiotherapy?

Has anyone suggested taking any medication like Stemetil?

Has he seen an ENT consultant?

• Posted

Hello Marina,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, he has been doing physiotherapy since the beginning, when he feels like he can do it. Sometimes he gets severe dizziness and he cannot do anything.

Yes, he is taking several medicines, such as "Depalept", "Disothiazide", and "Betahistine". You could say that doctors treat him like someone who has the "Ménière's" disease.

Yes, he met several doctors, including ENT and dizziness. He did neurological tests, CT (brain and ears), MRI (brain), and balance tests.

The doctors do not have any definite answer regarding his situation, but his condition is getting worse. He is using a wheelchair and cannot leave the house (unless he goes to see a doctor).

I hope this helps.

All the best.

• Posted

Hello Marina,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, he does have "Tinnitus", he hears some kind of ringing sounds.

Also, yes, according to hearing tests he completed, his hearing is deteriorating.

May I ask if you encountered something like this before? Maybe you are a doctor, or you suffered from something similar?

Everyone thinks of "Ménière's", however, he does not have 100% "Ménière's" disease, and the treatment for this disease does not help him.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.