Lost hearing in 1 ear.. perforation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, last weekend I think I might have perforated my eardrum when cleaning my ears (I know, I know - shouldn't put anything in ears. My ears are very dry (I suffer with dermatitis/dry skin/eczema) and a build up of dry wax is unbearably itchy)

the loss of hearing in that ear didn't happen straight away, but the reason I'm assuming it is a perforation is that at the time I heard a crunch sound in that ear. A day or two later I have loss of hearing in my left ear and I have a small amount of watery fluid draining from it.

I quickly started looking it up online but most articles and the nhs site states most heal on their own without treatment over a few weeks. I was going to wait till the start of next week and see how it is, so far I've had no improvement and I do feel worried. I just wanted to ask others if I should speak to a doctor about it or just not worry too much and just wait it out?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Definitely speak to a doctor. You may have introduced infection into your ear, but you do need to be examined

• Edited

These symptoms resemble those of a ruptured eardrum, which in fact can be healed spontaneously.

Small perforations of the eardrum usually return to normal within a few weeks, although it can take up to 2 months for the membrane to completely regenerate.

If you have the possibility, talk to a doctor this week, otherwise, wait another week and see if there is any improvement. If there isn't any, you need to see a doctor anyway.

• Edited

Thanks for your replies. After work yesterday it really felt like it has much more pressure build up so I felt a bit worried. I phoned NHS 111 today as doctors aren't open, just for advice and she basically told me I can go to be seen at a minor injuries unit that was open (30 min drive from me) or I can wait it out and see how I am as I didn't have any of the overly concerning symptoms - Fever, Acute pain etc..

So I decided to just push through and hopefully will be able to get into my doctors on Monday. I'm definitely noticing I have a swollen gland or lymph node on that side just under the bone behind my ear which has started to feel ever so slightly tender to the touch. I think things are getting worse, not better. I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning.

• Edited

That swollen lymph node may indicate an infection that is spreading. Do see a professional before it gets out of hand.

• Posted

Update: I waited out till mo day even though its very uncomfortable with feeling of fullness, fluid leaking and pressure build up. Phone doctors practice monday morning, 1 min after they opened and was 18th in the queue. after over 20 mins waiting, I finally got through and was told there were no more phone appointments that day 😔 So they booked me in to be called Tuesday morning.

Tuesday comes, they phoned just before midday and she said I do need to get it looked at but she has no appointments for that day, best bet is to go to a minor injuries unit.

So off I went to minor injuries. The nurse practitioner looked into both ears, right one she said looked all normal. When she looked in the left she said "oo thats a nasty looking ear". she used these long soft brushed to try clean out some of the yellow fluid, which felt uncomfortable, but still couldnt see my eardrum. She has prescribed me a 5 day course of 500mg Amoxicillin, 1 tablet 3 times a day, and said if not improved after that I will need to be seen again.

I've had two yesterday and had 2 today so far, last one before bed. Not had any change so far, but hoping by friday maybe will have some improvement, fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.