Lost My singing voice

Posted , 5 users are following.

I use this karaoke app called smule sing and sing in school assembly's, concerts, plays, etc. On the singing app I frequently post new recordings of mine. But I haven't done one in about 3 months. And all day today. I've tried to make a decent sound come out of my throat. But there's nothing, either I'm too quiet or I'm loud enough but sound so bad everyone wants me to go back to being too quiet. Please help me. This is very detrimental to my career I'm a young singer/singer writer. I need help. I spoke with my assistant. And if I can't sing in the next 2 weeks I may be close to loosing  my job. And my spot on the stage!!! 😓😓😓

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of  your lost voice.

This is most probably a result of extra-oesophageal reflux.

Have you spoken to your doctor about it? He'll probably just give you acid suppressant medication which will make any reflux less damaging but not cure the reflx itself.

You'll need to minimise the reflux by losing weight if necessary, not over-filling your stomach by eating little and often. Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed and raise your bedhead by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

If you are unable to manage your reflux in this way, you may have to have reflux reduction surgery.

Sorry, no instant cure. I know of a professional singer who had the operation and Dolly Parton had a LINX implant (which is nearly as good).

• Posted

Hi EmmaLayla! So sorry to hear of your current challenge! Have you spoken with or been evaluated by a doctor at all about your symptoms? Have you symptoms other than a change in your voice? There must be a reason you posted your concern in a "reflux" forum... say rather than having an ear, nose, throat concern... Or say swollen vocal cords or something.... If you could list your symptomology, perhaps some folks here have had similar and can share with you what they have tried that has worked or not worked... For instance, did this begin following an illness or sudden change in lifestyle? Do you feel heartburn, cough after eating, experience "hot burps", have difficulty sleeping, etc.? The more you can share of your story can help others narrow down if your experience has similarities to theirs so if their input might be of some value to you. To be posting here, i'm guessing there's more to your story of seeking restored health smile
    • Posted

I've been experiencing what feels like swelling in my throat it also feels dry and itchy. But I'm not sick and drink water many times a day. The doctors thought I had hypertensive throat muscles which were contracting down on my vocal cords making it uncomfortable and painful to sing nicely. Doctor suggested to drink some warm water. Instead of cold. And to take some tablets that were supposed to lessen the amount of acids in the back of my throat. Although he said he couldn't quiet figure out what my problem was. I haven't recently changed my lifestyle. Apart from working out daily. I haven't had the time so I've stopped doing that. I've been experiencing mild pain during and after eating which lead to coughing and almost vomiting. Is this similar to anyone else?
  • Posted

I am currently recovering slowly from reflux that got in to my throat,made my voice hoarse with wheezing,cough and sensation of lump in throat. Throat become sore as well. It was visible just by looking in my mouth. Elevated bed,changing my diet up a bit by eliminating things that caused my reflux like coffee and a cut back on soft drinks plus ppi and an h2 blocker at night are helping me. Although slowly. You need to be checked for reflux to be sure whats caused your loss of voice. If it is reflux you will be given a ppi most likely and maybe even an h2 blocker like zantac to hekp with the acid. Also if it is acid causing it the medication alone may be all you need or you may need it plus some of the changes we have discussed to help it. And healing may come quickly or slowly over time. It all depends on how each individual responds. I wish you well and hope for a quick recovery.
  • Posted

Hi i have got the same problem with my voice after i had a cold , go and see your doctor and he/she will refure you for a hospital check up.even if they find nothing wrong it is still worth go to see what they say, maybe they will put you on voice rest , so no singing and no talking for 2 weeks , i am now waiting to go to the hospital , let us no on here when you get  you voice sorted out ,good luck geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.