Lost Sense of Smell

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone else lose their sense of smell at the beginning of a. flare?  I can always tell that I need to go to the doctor when I can't smell my morning coffee of anything else.  There seems to be no way of stopping a flare without prednisone.  I am afraid I will be diabetic with so much pred.  Even though I am careful about carbs and eat no processed foods, it has raised my sugar levels and I am never off it for more than a month.  Hope to hear any ideas.  Thanks!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

An interesting point to which my answer is yes and no. Maybe not for all but I have always had a suspicion that B and sinus issues are linked with an exacerbation from post nasal drip regardless of head colds etc. this is based on an excess of mucous going down the airways cannot help B. so often my excess of mucous seems to generate from high up not deep down which lends credence to this theory. Of course while it is possible I do not actually have B my national expert diagnosed it from a detailed scan. That said, I wonder how much of the population have lung "pockets" when not everyone has a scan. I did not have symptoms for 50 years yet my physician puts it down to childhood illnesses 50+ years ago. I remain sceptical and feel there is much to learn.

My sense of smell has never been great but of course head colds are always a pre-cursor to a flare up of B and you cannot smell a thing then. But it is not a predictor in itself  for me as you seem to suggest it is for you. When you cease smelling, does your nose feel blocked?

• Posted

I am not sure either what caused my B, which started 4 years ago, in my early 60s.  I had always been healthy.  Myndoctor also mentioned long ago infections being a possible cause. i do remember having a serious illness at age 6 which kept me out of school for 6 weeks.  I never asked what it was...and now there is no one alive anymoret who would know.  At the time of diagnosis,I'd been having serious flares for only two yeras.  Probably about 4 times a year.  Now ihave flares every 6-8 weeks.  And I always know it is hopeless to go on without prednisone as soon as my sense of smell disappears.  It is odd really.  My runny nose stops running...but my nose does not feel blocked.  However, my productive coughdry up and I feel like all the mucous in my lungs just "freezes" into a solid mass, making me very short ofbreath.  Oddly, research tells me that B shows up more frequently in one group...women over 60 who have never smoked.  That would be me.

Thank you for your thoughts. 

• Posted

I have lost my sense of smell AND taste for about three years now. Got nowhere with doctors. I feel that prednisone aggravated the situation and caused swelling of feet and legs and bad dreams. I quickly stopped taking the stuff but still have the said smell/taste problem minus swelling and nightmares. I think prednisone has a psychiatric impact for some if my experience is anything to go by.
    • Posted

I am always so afraid that my sense of smell will not return.  So far, it always has inspite of at least 24 flares over the past 4 years....16 of them over the past two years.  I am stuck with prednisone I am afraid.  Prednisone is the miracledrug that no one wants tosty on.  Yes...I have heard of many people having psychiatric effects.  In my case, it is the rise in my glucose and A1C that concerns me. But....breathing is not optional...so I guess Ineed to be glad it is available!
  • Posted

It seems hard to co e to a firm conclusion on smell. Late onset B is very interesting. I am male so do not fit what you describe but also 60+. I also have mild asthma, always well,controlled since onset in 30's. Flare ups again came with a head cold. Prednisilone always worked but gave unwelcome effects, insomnia, a greater appetite and feelings of anger. My family called them my Incredible Hulk drugs! It also came with a plus, as well as improvements to the chest, I had great creativity with smart ideas and great energy too. Also and here is a relevance I can taste food really well and notice smells I cannot before. If only they could bottle the good bits and take away the bad, I could live on them. Prednisilone does nothing for my B and that is where azrithomycin works well.
    • Posted

I sure wish SOMETHING worked for me!!  I do get a bit "angey" on pred.  it just makes me find little things annoyong.  I have not had the increased appetite, and till recently have avoided the weight gain.  Alas...it has made me gain 8 pounds this past month...even though I eat a very healthy diet and maintain a low carb count because of the side effect that increases sugar count.  I SO want to be off the stuff. I am going to have to ask my mother in law if I can have my "fat clothes" back. She has lost her appetite completely and has lost 30 pounds.  I lost 20 pounds 4 years ago before I got sick by walking 4 miles a day.  Now it is all back on and I can't walk regularly anymore.  I can never lose weight with diet alone. My only hope is to maintain.  Darn that prednisone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.