Lost the ability to sneeze all of the sudden

Posted , 6 users are following.

Very weird, don't know if its good or bad (i think its bad).

Backstory:

I used nasal spray for years when i was young which damaged my mucous membrane causing me to sneeze a lot (always several times a day), also sometimes i feel like i have a massive cold while it is my membrane acting up again.

a few nights ago i had to sneeze again and felt the tickle in my nose, eyes started to water a big and i started to breath in air ready for the final 'blast', but it did not happen. Instead i felt something in my throat (can't describe) and i didnt have to sneeze anymore (also no tickle or water in my eyes).

Looking at bright light also does not work.

Since then i can't sneeze anymore, i do feel the tickel and a little bit of water in my eyes but thats it. Also the part where i breath in before the sneeze doesn't happen anymore 9 out of 10 times.

What the heck is going on? is the damage on my membrane fixed or do i have a medical problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had this symptom a few times and from what I could find online, it seems to be bacterial sinusitis. I think it will pass on its own, but I still think you should talk to a doctor. This is just speculation.

• Posted

Is there anything I can do to alleviate it until it comes back?

• Posted

There are several ways to induce sneezing. You have tried the ‘looking at the light’ technique. Smell spices, smell a strong aroma, pull out a nose hair, inhale raw spices, run the tongue on the roof of your mouth or tickle the nose. These activities should retrigger the sneezing sensation. If these do not work, then get in touch with a doctor; ask them if you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.