Lost weight

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had lost 40 lbs., my hair was falling out and I had terrible fatigue. I thought the fatigue was from my fibromyalgia, but I found out later only part of it was.

I went to the Doctor and she took blood. The results were hypothyroidism. Has anybody heard of losing weight with hypothyroidism?

Since I''ve been on the synthroid I have lost some of the fatigue, my hair is getting better, but I''ve gained the 40 lbs. back for no reason. I still am not on right medicine amount. My Doctor has me on 100 mcg synthroid and she just added 5 mg of cytomel. I am suppose to go back in four weeks to retest.

I can't eat much less than I am, but I can't exercise because of the fibro pain and fatigue. I have tried and it just makes me worse.

Can anyone help?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, have you had thyroid antibodies checked? If you have the autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's, you can be hypo buy also hyper, as the thyroid is destroyed by the antibodies. On levo, T1, T2, T3 and calcitonin are not replaced - levo synthetically replaces T4 only. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the information. I will talk to my doctor and see what she says. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi karen I have never heard of losing weight I have hypocalcima and hypothyroid pspohypothrisim my calcium is low and my my phosphorus is high and they can balance the two. I was born with thyroid problems I am 26 years old and I have a lot of hair fall out. And I gain wait all the time and I have a hard time losing it. 
    • Posted

I had always had trouble with my weight, constipation, fatigue, etc. Doctors were always looking at my thyroid for the problem for years. It was only when I lost 40 lbs. And my hair falling out did the test show anything. My doctor is still working on protocol for me. I take 100 mcg synthroid and now she gave me 5mg cytomel. The reason is my reverse T3 is still not right. I take a new blood test in about a month. I hope when we get this straightened out I can lose some weight. Thank you for your answer.
  • Posted

I have the same problem, now down to 80 pounds and losing fast.

I stopped taking my Armour....Levo was bad for me. 

Im looking for answers and if I find any I WILL let you know.

• Posted

I lost weight before I took the synthroid, which was actually a good thing because I needed to. But I knew it was bad because I was losing hair too. So when I was diagnosed hypo I immediately started gaining weight and games 40 lbs. in a very short time. There is definitely still something wrong. I'm getting my blood work again in late Feb and might know more something then.
  • Posted

I also have problems with trying to gain weight as I've lost so much! I'm on 125mg levothyroxine which I feel is the wrong dose but my gp says my levels are ok which I don't understand either! My diet is very good eat all the right things! And my gp has no clue either but my weight is falling fast I'm far too thin for my height and I am very concerned but like you I cannot get any answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.