Lotensin (benazepril) effectiveness and libido

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm sorry for the double question - "hitting two birds with one stone" type of thing - but it's about the same drug.

I have been taking benazepril for two years now, and I have noticed that it seems less and less responsive and effective. Its onset is supposed to be about an hour, but after an hour I now notice very little change in my high morning BP readings, which average 160/95, hr 64. (My heart rate is never a problem since I quit amlodipine, the poison from hell - use the search window to read my other postings on amlodipine for all the gory details.) I take 40mg of benazepril in a single dose in the morning on an empty stomach.

The situation is complicated because I also have generalized anxiety disorder and whenever I take 1 mg of alprazolam later in the morning, my blood pressure drops in an hour, often ~50 points in my systolic and ~25 in my diastolic!

This drop seems much more than just alprazolam had ever done on its own, and it seems that perhaps (just a guess now!!) that alprazolam (xanax) somehow potentiates (increases the activity) of the benazepril. But alprazolam leaves me drowsy and unmotivated - formerly I only took it at night before bedtime, but now it is the only thing that keeps my BP under control during the day, but it's making working and functioning during the day very difficult - I feel like I constantly need a nap badly, even though I slept well throught the night.

I also discovered when I consumed large amounts of potassium-rich food and took potassium supplements (a no-no with ACE inhibitors such as benazepril), that my BP stayed down, and my energy stayed up.

The second problem is that lately I have had no libido, no sexual interest whatsoever - and I have always had a very high sex drive. This is simply a fact - a sometimes quite inconvenient one, not a brag in the least. I have also ceased having morning non-sexual erections, which have been normal all my life. I've taken alprazolam for years longer than benazepril and have never had this phenomenon with alprazolam. Benazepril is the newest drug I've taken regularly (aside from my 2 weeks with amlodipine, which actually cause the opposite problem of inappropriate, unwanted, even painful priapism several times during the night!!)

I am at such a loss now. My doctor says he has no more to offer, but I cannot continue to run 160+/90+ with benazepril, and do not want to continue to compensate this apparently weakening, sexual-neutralizing ACE inhibitor to lower my BP with benzos, i.e., alprazolam, which I must take to control my anxiety/panic attacks.

I cannot take amlodipine - whose ONLY positive aspect is that it dramatically lowers your blood pressure to normal - at a great cost in unpleasant, sometimes scary side effects.

I hope this helps someone in a similar plight, and I hope that we can find some helpful suggestions. My immediate plan is to drop benazepril and increase my intake of potassium, both by food and supplements.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am taking amiodipine seem to be okay I have only been taking them for three weeks all this is new to me
  • Posted

I would like to delete my entry above. The problems were partly depression with life right now, and partly too much alcohol. Benazepril works great without alcohol and has almost no side effects except mild drowsiness. It's also safe for the kidneys even in high doses.

Please watch out for slowly developing side effects with amlodipine. Though many are able to take it without any serious side effects, it can be quite serious with other people. Watch out for very hot flashes, swollen ankles/calves, increased tinnitus, rashes, exhaustion, gasping or shortness of breath with the lightest exercise. If you don't experience these, you are one of the lucky ones, because amlodipine DOES control blood pressure better than any other drug. (Trouble is I got all the side effects with it.)

• Posted

Just come back from the doctors. He wanted to increase my dose of amiodipine to 10mg and another drug to go with it.  I said I would prefer to monitor for a week at home before taking these life long drugs.   Just took blood pressure at home and it was 138/79. No problems with that I am sure. At the surgery it was 180/98
    • Posted

Can you self a alive why you have depression and try to change negatives for positives and see if that helps.  I used to teach confidense building and dealing with difficult situations.  It is possible to change your process of thought to some point if it helps.  Sending positive thoughts to you hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

In the past decade I have lost every member of my family through suicide or illness. I even witnessed my cat killed by a car in front of me. I am totally alone. I just retired from a grueling job with a manipulative, lying witch of a boss. Last year, two cars crashed into my perfect, paid-for car and the insurance paid me only about half what I paid for it. I'm having serious financial problems - I lost my beautiful home. There isn't much to turn into positive unless I become delusional - psychological research has recently found that "happy people" with tremendous trauma in their lives are actually delusional, telling themselves lies - depressives are much more realistic about evaluating situations. My trouble is that I see my situation very clearly and am realistic about how bad things have become.
  • Posted

Yes life can be very cruel but as the saying goes what does not kill us makes us stronger.  I am not sure how true that is.  I also have had a bad decade with very horrible things go wrong   I am very realistic about facing up to the truth however we are still alive so we have two choices to give up or become strong and fight back.  I know how tough this can be believe me
  • Posted

Hi Colubrids

You may want to check your electrolytes. After adding 600 mg a day and 200 mg of Coq10, my blood pressure dropped from 165/95 to 135/85. I must add that I cut out alot of dairy that added to this drop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.