Lotion on the incisions

Posted , 3 users are following.

When did you guys start applying lotion on the incisions? the site feels dry and itchy. i just want to moisturize it. nurse said its okay via email, she didnt actually see it. i am 2 weeks post op.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had a large vertical incision (belly button to below panty line), with internal soluable stitches and glue on the outside. i used bio oil on my incision rather than lotion as it helps minimise the scarring and is very gentle on the skin. i also used silicone strips as they help keep it from getting dry and i liked the extra layer of protection.

In terms of timeframe, i cant remember exactly, but i think i was really super careful and my consultant and nurse said i didnt need to worry so much as the incision knits at the top layer of skin very quickly. i was also told to massage the incision scar after a few weeks to stop adhesions.

if the nurse says its ok, you should be fine. I'd be tempted to use something natural like aloe vera or bio oil rather than a lotion which might irritate the skin though.

• Posted

after 7-10 days once you have taken your dressing and showered, try vaseline to begin with & slowly massage your scar.

that is what the nurses told me when i went to change my dressing..

( from london 7 months post open myomectomy 25-30 fibriods removed)

good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.