Lots of pain (heartburn) but upper gi looked good

Posted , 8 users are following.

Need some advice English friends!

I had an upper gi done today after experiencing 2 weeks of non stop heart brib that kills. Keeps me up all night. Well, the scope came out clear. Awesome but no answers except that I have lots of stomach acid. She ended up suctioning it out. The next series of tests now will be done on the stomach and the over production of acid. Does anyone have this problem and what do u do for it? I don't really want to start a ppi if my esophagus looks good.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Stmach acid is produced by proton pumps - cells that from as required in the stomach lining.

The best way to reduce over-production of stomach acid is to inhibit the production of proton pumps. The best way of doing this is with a proton pump inhibitor.

• Posted

Karen there are a couple of good nsutural sustances that repair the mucus lining and work quite well. I try to avoid meds as much as possible because of side effects.
    • Posted

Aloe Vera, Slippery Elm, DGL, Manuka Honey will all act as demulcents which may sooth inflammation and increase production of protective mucous but they don't reduce the creation of proton pumps and the subsequent increase of acid.
    • Posted

That is why I'm a little nervous about going on a PPI. I heard getting off th is insanely hard. I'm 34 and do not want to be on meds rest of my days.
    • Posted

If you take high dose PPIs over a long time, stopping them rapidly may cause rebound effects. They are, however, not addictive like some anti-depressants.

The stomach can fight to produce sufficient acid if insufficient proton pumps can be created. This can lead to sustained effort to produce more acid.

If you do take high dose and wish to stop, it just requires gradual reduction of dose and frequency over a week or so and helped by substituting H2 blockers if necessary.

• Posted

Hi karen,

I thought so too when I first started taking PPI. But, let me tell you that they helped me heal and I was able to get off of them successfully!

If you are worried, try Zantac or similar ones. Those are milder than PPI and not as difficult to get off of.

• Posted

Well done! I used to have spells of really bad heartburn and the endoscopy showed nothing. They only occurred every couple of years so you may be lucky too. Interested to know what other tests you have been offered. I haven't been offered anything but medication
    • Posted

My doctor said she would test me to see if I have stomach emptying issues. Also a ph test to see how acidic I am and an ultrasound of the gallbladder. I hope I'm lucky like u too! I really need some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.