Lots of rectal discomfort after rectocele repair. Is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had a rectocele repair 3 wks. ago. I am feeling a lot of rectal discomfort. Sometimes I feel like I need to have a BM but not enough to really have one. I can feel like that for hours even if I did have a BM earlier in the day. Sometimes it just feels achy and raw. It hurts sometimes after a BM. In general, I feel pressure and discomfort. Is this a normal thing to feel? I'm still taking pain meds but not a lot. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm worried that there is something else wrong with my rectum.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shiley, have you rung doctors rooms and spoken to them? Is this sudden or has it been going on since op? I have cystocele repair and hysterectomy 6 days ago and have a bit of a tummy upset. I rang doctor and was told this sometimes happens. You feel like you have a very mild case of gastritis. Not sure if this is what you are describing? 
    • Posted

Hi Carolannfud,

Yes I have checked. The answer is a little unclear to me though. It sounds like it might be normal but it wouldn't be if it continued too long. I'm noticing the rectal discomfort more as I try and reduce the pain meds I'm taking. I too have had a little stomach ache at night sometimes but it hasn't been a big problem. 

• Posted

Right - and it's always tricky knowing when something is going on for too long. Can you ring the hospital where you had the surgery, see if you get a clearer response? Hopefully someone else will respond here who has personal experience 😄
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,  i hope it improves soon. I had my repair on friday and my bottom is so uncomfortable. I'm ok why lying down but as soon as i start walking the ache brings tears to my eyes. I have also not yet been able to go for a Bm. Think I'm a little scared. I'm taking lactulose but no movement yet. Any advice on making me go would be appreciated.  Donna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.